DSL and Norton Firewall problem

From: Tom A. (cor_gis2_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 03/08/04

Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:49:14 GMT

I have a few issues that I hope someone can help with... Symantec online
support has been worthless even though I've spent hours uninstalling and
reinstalling products per their instructions. I am using System Works 2004
on an XP laptop and a Win 98 Se desktop. I have Norton Personal Firewall
2003 on the desktop and the standard XP firewall on the laptop. My first
issue is that with both computers when I run the online security scan at
both Symantec's web site and at Shields up I obtain different results from a
dialup connection and a DSL connection. On both machines with DSL the
scans show only closed ports but with dialup I get full stealth readings.
This strikes me as highly unusual. I've called Sprint, my DSL provider, and
get different answers from different people... Some can't explain it at all,
one said that the scans are reading Sprint's firewall rather than mine on
DSL, and even another said that Sprint doesn't use a firewall. This has
left me concerned, to say the least.

The second issue is with the 2003 Norton firewall which seems only
partially functional and is having problems. It seems to come up normally
at startup but if I open the firewall the following script error pops up:
"Line: 185, Char: 2, Error: Interface not registered, Code: 0, Url:
Res://NISPLUG.DLL/10036". When I clear the script error Privacy Control and
Ad Blocking are off and there is no way to turn them on. I have been living
with this problem for about 2 months now and am almost ready to toss the
Norton firewall out. When it worked properly I used to receive periodic
alerts of blocked attacks... Now I receive none. When I ran the Norton
Security scan on dialup, I got an alert and the stats showed a number of
intrusion attempts. On DSL nothing. This problem, of course is on the Win
98 desktop.

Relevant Pages

  • Norton Firewall problem & DSL
    ... Symantec online ... I have Norton Personal Firewall ... dialup connection and a DSL connection. ... The second issue is with the 2003 Norton firewall which seems only ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Firewall and DSL
    ... days ago I upgraded to DSL. ... the firewall has been a big pain in the backside. ... see the new DSL modem I uninstalled it (Norton Firewall) and reinstalled it 4 ... Always asking for permission for some function. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: OT udp port 138 BROWSER traffic
    ... >>potential problems with people outside the firewall looking at disk info ... > point of changing dsl providers. ... > issues that are interfering with my connection at their end. ... > firewall/router and their gateway, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Time to upgrade SP1 to SP2?
    ... >software does not work properly on SP2. ... >dial-up to DSL, so perhaps there are some firewall considerations. ... They all refused to hide ping responses when I used the DSL ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Help, my machine has been hacked
    ... >>> The DSL provider said that one of their BSD servers was hacked so they ... >> I'd say your DSL provider does not know much about BSD/Linux. ... >>> Are any of the consumer firewall boxes any better than an IPCHAINs ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)