Re: Clock reset - How?

From: Ron Hunter (rphunter_at_charter.net)
Date: 02/21/04

    Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 04:55:01 -0600

    James Moe wrote:

    > Chris Mitchell wrote:
    >
    >> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
    >> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
    >> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might
    >> be doing this.
    >>
    > Keep better track of what you are doing. Really, that's the best way
    > to find the problem, if indeed it is something that is done by web
    > scripting. Periodically check the clock for sudden changes of time. Or a
    > gradual lag. This type of problem takes, er, time and patience to narrow
    > down.
    > Other posters seem to indicate it is a Windows OS problem: it just
    > gets to busy to bother with updating the clock. Truly bizarre, if true;
    > other OSes have been keeping (more or less) good time since the '50s.

    Actually, computer clocks, until recently, have been notoriously
    inaccurate. I worked with mainframes for almost 40 years and they only
    became accurate when a module was added to check and reset the clock
    using NIST across the internet. Amazing that a multi-million dollar
    mainframe couldn't keep time as well as a $10 wristwatch....

    • Re: Clock reset - How?
      ... >> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6 ... >>after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Clock reset - How?
      ... > I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6 ... > after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back ... the clock up 3 hours... ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Clock reset - How?
      ... > I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6 ... > after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back ... Periodically check the clock for sudden changes of time. ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Clock reset - How?
      ... > I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6 ... > after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back ... on your system when it was new, maybe 2 dollars were for the clock. ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • TOD Clock the same as the BIOS clock in PCs?
      ... IS the TOD clock in the mainframes the same as ... the CMOS or RTC in standard PCs? ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)