Re: Recommendation withdrawn for Symantec products

From: Roger Bryant (rabyant151_at_nospam.att.net)
Date: 02/20/04

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:27:06 GMT

Thusly spoke the voices from beneath Bill Levinson's tin-foil hat on
2/19/2004 2:32 PM:

> --Bill
> http://www.stentorian.com/antispam/

I used to use Norton for the past 4 years (since I got my computer).
Very recently, when I did a reformat/reinstall of Windows, I decided to
try an alternative. Right now I'm using AVG 6 (available a grisoft.com)
and Kerio personal firewall. AVG is updated almost daily, and it picks
upp stuff that Norton never detected. Kerio is a different interface
from Norton, but has the same capabilities (and you can mention here
without getting flamed for plugging symantec). Oh, and they're both *free*.

--
Test, Jamie, Test.
Remove nospam. to email.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Norton 2005
    ... Norton's bad press is by people who machines were screwed by norton's products, not it's virus catching behaviour. ... I only look up viruses at Norton's site as they seem to know the most about viruses. ... A Install a Norton product. ... > AVG is free for home use, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Anti virus ???
    ... Along with what other people said, Mcafee and Norton simply do not work as ... versions of either Norton or Mcafee and AVG still finds viruses. ... catch lots of spyware and malware trying to install too. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: AV Choice??
    ... The FREE version of AVG Antivirus is less system intrusive than Symantec's ... use the FREE version of AVG, and the FREE version of Zone Alarm firewall. ... I'm still manually deleting the orphan Registry Keys/Strings that Norton Antivirus ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: OT - anti-virus software
    ... I've been using AVG for, Idunno, 8 years? ... I've had many problems with Norton the last time I tried them a few ... and use the built in firewall you should get a software firewall to ... Norton Internet Securit Suite earned a "9" out of 10 rating and was ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)