Re: TROJAN UNDETECTED BY AD-AWARE

From: Gary (glabowitz_at_comcast.net)
Date: 02/18/04

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:18:28 -0500

news:zLHYb.33324$M8.5819@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
> In addition...
> If you post to UseNet with your TRUE, not a munged, email address then you
are inviting the
> Swen worm to visit you.
>
> The Swen is news spelled backwards. The reason it is called this is
because the Swen worm
> harvests email addresses from UseNet News Groups. It has an engine that
allows it to post
> itself to UseNet News Groups as well as it has its own email engine. From
the list of
> email addresses that it has harvested, it will then email itself to those
addresses.

I have a puzzle. I have neer munged by e-mail address, and I have never
gotten a virus or other malware (except one I dumbly "invited" in by opening
a file I asked my brother to send to me to check out). Does my firewall and
active AVG protect me that well? Or am I "lucky" some way? I'm glad, but I
wonder why I have never had any uninvited trouble. (It sounds like I'm
complaining for being left alone. I'll probably get it in spades now.)

--
Gary

Relevant Pages

  • Re: TROJAN UNDETECTED BY AD-AWARE
    ... The reason it is called this is because the Swen worm ... harvests email addresses from UseNet News Groups. ... itself to UseNet News Groups as well as it has its own email engine. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Mass mailer worm?
    ... called this is because the Swen worm ... >harvests email addresses from UseNet News Groups. ... email engine. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion)
  • Re: Virus
    ... >| called this is because the Swen worm ... >|>harvests email addresses from UseNet News Groups. ... >| email engine. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion)
  • Re: Mascarade Email from "Microsoft" : W32.Swen.A@mm attached !
    ... The reason it is called this is because the Swen worm ... harvests email addresses from UseNet News Groups. ... itself to UseNet News Groups as well as it has its own email engine. ... There are several Internet worms that masquerade as patches from Microsoft. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Email pretending to be a Microsoft download
    ... The reason it is called this is because the Swen worm ... harvests email addresses from UseNet News Groups. ... itself to UseNet News Groups as well as it has its own email engine. ... Petition your ISP to install AV software on their respective email servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion)