Re: encryption on removable device

From: Rowdy Yates (rowdy.yates_at_no-spam.lycos.com)
Date: 02/16/04

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 01:55:49 GMT

Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote in
news:MPG.1a99c4d3f7e4857698a1c4@news-server.columbus.rr.com:

> In article <c0olf3$vss$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> eddie@eddiebenton.co.uk says...
>> Is it possible, and if so, how, to have the ability to have the
>> contents of a removable USB pen drive encrypted, and be able to write
>> to and read the device on the fly once the password has been
>> supplied, without any additional software.

something has to have an encyption engine, PRNG e.t.c.. in order for you to
encrypt something else, right? now read your own question and think about
that for a second.

>> I need this as I do not have permissions to install software on the
>> computers id mostly be using it on.

i don't know what you are up to, but it's not a good idea to do things at
work without management being aware of it.

> So, you are either at school or at work and you want us to help you
> steal company materials? Are fricking NUTS asking this is a security
> group in public.
>
> I hope someone doesn't trace you back to the company you work for and
> rat you out.

that's a little melo-dramatic leythos. there are lots of easy ways to move
data around using traditional channels without getting caught.

--
Rowdy Yates
Things I learnt in the army:

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Blocking unauthorized remote access
    ... had a few government contracts there. ... introduced our no-visiting computers policy corporate wide (for ... I realize that 15 years ago is a terribly long time - but 802.11 wireless ... Leythos, that would be a complete waste of time. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Many viruss and malware
    ... > Leythos wrote: ... there were a number of small computers available to the home user in the ... This is one of the first desktop computers I ever worked on: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP SP2
    ... I would not go so far as to say all with compromised computers are ignorant. ... Leythos also says "then install anything", ... Unfortunately it often seems those creating malware are moving at least as ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: NEWS-REGISTER@INDIVIDUAL.NET
    ... Leythos wrote: ... >> Are you low lifes pissed because you can't hack into my computers or ... >None of us are pissed Debbie, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: NEWS-REGISTER@INDIVIDUAL.NET
    ... Leythos wrote: ... >> Are you low lifes pissed because you can't hack into my computers or ... >None of us are pissed Debbie, ...
    (alt.computer.security)