Re: Antivirus - AVG protection

From: half_pint (esboella.nospam_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 02/09/04

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 19:13:34 -0000

No I didnt, it's called msinfo.exe thats how it appears in the
directory/folder listing.
If there was a . <somethingsle> I think I would have see it.somethingelse

Unless I was hallucenating.

--
---------------
regards half_pint
"Stephan" <ask me @ kilroy.wuz.here> wrote in message
> did you stop to think that the file name might be
>     msinfo.exe.<something else>
>
> you won't see the extension after the second period, now will you?
>

> "half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Select the file types you want \avg to scan, default scan will only scan
> > executables, the file extension you gave is NOT executable so wont be
> scanned.
> > single file scan will of course scan whatever you point it at.
>
> Oh so msinfo.exe is not an executable!
> Thamks for sharing you knowledge and experience with us!!
>

> > When everything else fails, read the helpscreens
> >
> > --
> > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> > spybot http://security.kolla.de
> > AVG http://www.grisoft.com
> > Panda online scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> > Catalog of removal tools
> > links provided as a courtesy, no endorsement of the products is implied,
> >
> > "half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > |
> > | "Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@MSN,C0M> wrote in message
> with
> trouble.
> > |
> > | Well it may work on your system, but it has a major problem running on
> mine.
> > | Do you think it works fine because it doesn't report any
> viruses/trojans?
> > | I would write a prog to do that in 2 minutes!!
> > | Its kinda hard to *prove* your system is virus free.
> > | Using AVG to verify AVG is pointless!!
> > | How do you know you are not infected?
> > | I presume you 'just know' in which case why use AV software?
> > |
> > | I just ran ad-aware and hijackthis (both bang up to date)
> > | and neither reported the trojan.
> > | It was not 'active' on my system but it was nonetheless still there
(and
> > | still is!!).
> > | If you like I can email it to you and you can put it in the same place
> > | and see if it is detected? (I would be interested to know myself)
> > | That offer is open to anyone, just leave an email address.
> > | It has been in-active on my system for ages, (I am sure) and I looked
> > | back at my logs of AVG runs over the past year and it was not spotted
> > | on *either* of my drives!! (albeit basically the same drive info!).
> > | I know this because hijackthis spotted it initially (but obviously
> didn't
> > | remove all of it), have a search for msinfo.exe (thats its name) on
your
> > | system to see if you have it.
> > | I am not in anyway suggesting that AVG had some finiancial incentive
> > | for not spotting what seems to be a piece of commercial software,
> > | far from it. It seems more likely that the scan simply missed it
because
> of
> > | the way it works. Afterall hard drives are big places!!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Antivirus - AVG protection
    ... >> executables, the file extension you gave is NOT executable so wont be ... >> | Do you think it works fine because it doesn't report any ... >> | Using AVG to verify AVG is pointless!! ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Antivirus - AVG protection
    ... PDA Square Content Developer ... >> executables, the file extension you gave is NOT executable so wont be ... >> | Do you think it works fine because it doesn't report any ... >> | Using AVG to verify AVG is pointless!! ...
    (alt.computer.security)