Re: AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!

From: Ken Russell (rusty_at_theseams.com.au)
Date: 02/09/04

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:18:10 +1100

I use AVG free version and I was quite happy with it until read this thread.

I just ran HouseCall and it found Mydoom.dam in one of my zip backup files
on my backup partition. Before deleting it I then ran AVG on the infected
file and it found nothing.

Now that's a definite worry :-(

Strangely, the virus wasn't present in the original files.

--
Ken Russell
"half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| AVG virus software fails to detect viruses!!!
|
| I ran a virus scan today with an uptoday version
| of AGV 6 virus software. Fine, no viruses detected.
| I then decided to run it on my old hard drive (d:)which
| I had connected as a slave drive.
| Result virus found!!!
|
| This was a surprise because my old drive was a copy
| of my current drive!!!
| Anyway the virus/trojan was "startpage" or startpage.DG
| or whatever it is called (it's 'harmless' one), it
| was hiding in
| d:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\msinfo\msinfo.exe
| (57,244 bytes)
|
| I then went back to my c: drive and checked in this location and
| sure enough the same file was there and it was reported as a virus
| with an *individual* AGV file scan.
| I was a bit shocked at this so I ran a complete check on my c:drive
| again (Opened AGV and clicked 'run complete test' (although it appears
| to only check your main drive anyway!) and it ran its check on
| drive c:, - result - no viruses found!! even though an individual
| check on the file (which I did not remove) shows it to be a
| virus/trojan!!.
|
| So it appears AGV virus software is *serioously* flawed!!!!
|
| I believe I knew about this virus for some time as I had removed
| most of it before with some anti-hijack software so it did not
| affect my computer.
|
| However I was shocked to discover that AGV's virus scan missed it
| completely!
| AGV's anti virus appears to have a *serious* flaw in it.
|
| --
| regards half_pint.

---

  • Re: Normal.dot and Virus Warning
    ... You were right Graham - I uninstalled Grisoft AVG Free and all is well! ... Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org ... "An AntiVirus Program on your computer has reported a virus in this ... reports a virus, even if I temporarily disable the virus software, ...
    (microsoft.public.word.newusers)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... I would also download and run HiJackThis and post your results to one ... 'restore as' in AVG continues to hang. ... >> AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ... >>> Yes but then there's that sudden detection that appears NOT to>>> correspond to any event related to that theory. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... I would also download and run HiJackThis and post your results to one ... 'restore as' in AVG continues to hang. ... >> AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ... >>> Yes but then there's that sudden detection that appears NOT to>>> correspond to any event related to that theory. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... Hi Ron - No, if you've already let A2 clean things, then ... But of course running this and using the HiJackThis ... At www.virustotal.com the AVG was the day's before AVG ... AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)