Re: Spyware/adware and Internet Explorer

From: CalamityKen (YKnot_at_home.invalid)
Date: 02/03/04

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:05:54 -0500

lexar wrote:
> John wrote:
>> Is it true that spyware/adware only affects Internet Explorer?
>> I've been told to use another browser (eg. Opera) because when
>> browsing with that, no spyware/adware gets installed on my PC.
>> True or false?
> The possibility of malware exists anytime you download data and
> view it. However, IE is by an order of magnitude (or maybe 2) the
> most susceptible Currently,
> http://secunia.com/advisories/10395/
> no patch available, this is what the supplier advises :
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5Bln%5D;833786
> the vendor says to TYPE IN URLS, don't click on them, that would be
> Bad(tm). MS has know about this for some time.
> Wanna see for yourself? Go to :
> http://zcat.wired.net.nz/upgrade

Already been fixed!
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-004.asp

http://secunia.com/Internet_Explorer_File_Download_Extension_Spoofing_Test/
> And downloading anything from (what appears to be) anywhere is unsafe.

There is no protection available for idjut users.

> Monopoly ruleset :
> 1) innovate and price gouge until all competition is gone
> 2) leverage total reliance into less choice for consumer
>
> If you want IE to become better, use Netscape/Mozilla.
> If you want MS software to be higher quality/lower price, use
> Linux/Mozilla
> Of course, once you do, you most likely won't go back, but the
> poor unfortunates you left behind _may_ enjoy the results of the
> market created.
>
> Here's a thought on REALLY locking down a machine, run Knoppix,
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
> It is a 'Live-CD', or a complete Linux system, GUI desktop, office
> suite, mutliple browser, etc that boots from a CD, doesn't touch
> or need a hard drive. You can store your home dir on the HD, if
> you choose to however, or on a USB drive.
> If you want choices, look beyond windows.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Spyware/adware and Internet Explorer
    ... > The possibility of malware exists anytime you download data and ... > If you want MS software to be higher quality/lower price, ... > suite, mutliple browser, etc that boots from a CD, doesn't touch ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Spyware/adware and Internet Explorer
    ... > Is it true that spyware/adware only affects Internet Explorer? ... The possibility of malware exists anytime you download data and ... If you want MS software to be higher quality/lower price, ... suite, mutliple browser, etc that boots from a CD, doesn't touch ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Spyware/adware and Internet Explorer
    ... > Is it true that spyware/adware only affects Internet Explorer? ... The possibility of malware exists anytime you download data and ... If you want MS software to be higher quality/lower price, ... suite, mutliple browser, etc that boots from a CD, doesn't touch ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: smitfraudfix failed
    ... on reboot it was still popping up [in browser along with other ads ... Popup browser ads still come up with main feature ... If you'd like to create an account at the malware bytes forum, ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • OT: Some tips on using Windows PCs
    ... Malware is just another ... I'm on record as being a fan of Windows XP, but that is a personal thing and ... Disabling cookies, popups, and activeX in your Browser is not the answer. ... simply Registry cleaners and are actually more dangerous than good. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)