Re: Discover ip addres of a msn user?

From: Roaming Penguin (roaming_penguin_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: 02/02/04

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 02:54:39 -0500

 I knew that much. I was asking because once someone was harrassing me
via MSN, and I couldn't stop the spamming. Sending me constant
messages, I wanted the IP address blocked from my LAN, but could not
find how to obtain it.

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:32:57 -0600, "*Vanguard*" <no-email@bogus.nix>
wrote:

>"Roaming Penguin" said in
>> Does anyone know how to discover the ip of a msn user which you are
>> having a conversation with?
>>
>> I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the person
>> send you or accept a file.
>
>MSN uses Hotmail. Hotmail is NOT an anonymous webmail service. Look at the
>headers. You will find an "X-Originating-IP:" header which has the IP
>address of the host that connected to it that requested the e-mail get sent
>from Hotmail. I believe Yahoo might also insert this header. I remember a
>self-professed anonymous webmail service but then found it added a header
>with the sender host's IP address in the headers (plus if you read the terms
>of service then you actually agreed to get spammed by this a-hole bogus
>anonymous webmail service).
>
>Simply check the headers to see what the sender inserted and what the
>sending mail server inserted.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IE5 and Hotmail
    ... send emails through Hotmail. ... provide support for Entourage users, as a newer version is available. ... I'm very glad I discarded MSN as my internet service provider, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.explorer)
  • Re: HOTMAIL BREACH WARNING !
    ... To help protect your privacy Hotmail ... > be able to read the latest news about MSN. ... > Hotmail's Junk Mail Filter helps block unsolicited e-mail ... > Sharing your favorite photos just got easier. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: XSS bug in hotmail login page
    ... MSN passport 's basic mentality itself about security is ... When MS transitioned from MS hotmail to MSN hotmail, ... >> cookies or, if he's logged in, write emails from his account, delete his ... > sure if you can still exploit this bug. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: MSN Premium mail - DAV retirement
    ... Kahuna was the code name for Hotmail's first non beta release ... That's a lot of work on installing MSN software...MSN Version 7was the last version that didn't require a subscription ... refer to the MSN web browser as an e-mail client, ... AJAX web app so there is no e-mail client, ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.mail)
  • Re: MSN virus
    ... My MSN contacts told me that they obtained a message from me to go to ... friend of mine who is a hotmail user also recently had a hotmail ... account compromised in what sounds like a similar fashion. ... I wasn't able to determine the root cause of her compromise. ...
    (Security-Basics)