Re: Real-Time Network monitoring

From: Grunt (me_at_privacy.net)
Date: 01/30/04

Date: 30 Jan 2004 20:57:24 GMT

"Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> seems to think in
news:HNtSb.13832$YV1.4933@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net:

> "Damjan" <dj19@email.si> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm wondering, if somewhere exist some tool, that can monitor tcp/ip
>> over all network one ane computer? I use switch and have 5 computers
>> in
> network.
>> Can I monitor traffic during them on my box?
>
> Ethereal is a good Freeware sniffer, but they'll all have problems
> with a switch (this directs traffic directly between [generally] two
> ports and prevents the traffic from being monitored).
>
> A hub will work just fine, if you don't have the sort of high-end
> switch that directly supports sniffing.

Windows NT server has a network monitor application included that will
monitor and filter any packet on the local machine.

The driver must be installed.

Windows SMS includes a "promiscuous mode" driver that will sniff packets on
the entire LAN.

--
-- ipgrunt

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] Dumb question on networks and servers
    ... yourself to the switch. ... ultimately connecting to that one suse box, it can be set to monitor and also log ... firewall my whole network not just one machine. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: ethereal capture
    ... switch to monitor other ports into your specific port, ... Assistant Network Administrator ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Server Performance
    ... Check free disk space; delete Temp files/ Temporary Internet files & ... Remove unnecessary network protocols (NWLink IPX/SPX is often at fault ... > using Performance Logs and Monitor to monitor the server for bottlenecks, ... > but I am not sure which all counters to concentrate on. ...
  • Re: Real-Time Network monitoring
    ... >>> over all network one ane computer? ... >>> Can I monitor traffic during them on my box? ... >> switch that directly supports sniffing. ... > Windows SMS includes a "promiscuous mode" driver that will sniff packets on> the entire LAN. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: How to stop Admins from sniffing ?
    ... It is the responsibility of the IT Administrators to monitor all data being ... The same policy goes for personal laptops used on the network. ... EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE ... The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence ...
    (Security-Basics)