Re: Viruses and hackers make Windows more secure - Gates

From: Ben Measures (saint_abroadremove_at_removehotmail.com)
Date: 01/30/04

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:58:38 +0000

Jim Watt wrote:
>>BTW, XP is not spyware like some people think, and MS does not control
>>what you can do/run on it.
>

> The check is in the post, of course MS loves you.
>
> Have you actually read their EULA ?
>
> Its a pity the EU are not beating MS up about that rather than
> bundling in media player instead of the equally pain in the arse
> RealPlayer.
>
> --
> Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Huh, funny story. Well not so funny:

Microsoft changed Media Player's EULA with an inconspicuous "Security
Update". Apparently, they can now automatically download software to
your computer without your explicit consent. Contravenes several
European Data Protection laws...

http://bsdvault.net/article.php?sid=527&mode=&order=0

Doesn't exactly make me want to give Microsoft my complete trust.

--
Ben M.
----------------

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Protection/Time Limiting my software
    ... If you are to implement a copy-protection scheme, ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: probes to port 80
    ... OrgAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Protection/Time Limiting my software
    ... >>I avoid having to send the whole fully functional program. ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Cheap PC firewalls
    ... If you want a proper standalone firewall protecting your network then ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Linux has a long way to go before it becomes the major OS
    ... Whilst the overall structure of the way the hardware is put together is ... You can only do 2 if you have the right documentation. ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)