Re: Viruses and hackers make Windows more secure - Gates

From: Ben Measures (saint_abroadremove_at_removehotmail.com)
Date: 01/30/04

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:43:54 +0000

Iceman wrote:
> Also the security issues while always there in one respect or another was
> not one of the primary functions of windows in the beginning as it was not
> designed to go on the WAN until later, and it became far more important and
> the Net took off.

Security in Unix systems has always been a primary function, even when
networks were uncommon.

When networks became fairly common, Microsoft got into networks. They
still didn't think too much about security - they had obfuscation.

Microsoft started to think about security only when customers complained
that viruses and hackers were getting access to their computers and
data. This was way after the internet took off.

They have a lot of catching up to do. Especially with their legacy of
"old software" compatibility.

> Those who claim Linux is inheritently more secure is crazy. It
> also requires constant supervision and upgrades, things that most lazy ass
> windows users ignore, and putting them into a Linux package with the same
> attitudes will only drive up incidence's in Linux.

Now those are two separate things.

It is simply not possible to protect a system that is being administered
by somebody who is a "lazy ass user" without forcing them off all networks.

If you put two irresponsible drivers in two cars, one with ABS, one
without, then they are both likely to have a crash, regardless of
braking system. You can't then say that ABS is less effective at
preventing crashes.

Likewise you can't say anything about comparisons of the security of
various operating systems unless the administrators are competent and
care about security. If the comparison is done properly, Linux is the
clear winner, even when based on patch release times alone.

I'm sorry to go on so long but I felt your comment "Those who claim
Linux is inheritently more secure is crazy" was extremely unfair.

--
Ben M.