Re: Question for information security professionals

From: MT (mt_at_somewhere.com)
Date: 01/24/04

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:59:31 GMT

Thank you, I think that the Security+ may be what I was originally searching
for when I located the CISSP program. I will lookinto it.

thank you!

"kulm_nd" <g-w@ComcastREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> Security+ cert is the first step. Security typically covers malicious
code,
> attacks like DoS, remote access, e-mail, web server security, directory
and
> file transfers, IM, wireless security, network topology security,
intrusion
> detection, encryption, physical security, computer forensics, and social
> engineering. As you can see, lots of operating system and software
security.

> --

> g-w
>

> "MT" <mt@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > I have been a software developer (mainly C++, Java, Perl and Oracle) for
> the
> > last eight years now and I am interested in taking my career down a
> > different but related technical path. Anyway to get straight to the
point:
> > could anyone please tell me what discipline Information Security falls
> > under. I know very little about it at this point but would like to learn
> > more. Is it something that a developer like myself could transition into
> or
> > is it more of a network engineer or systems administration field? Or is
it
> > perhaps a little of each?
> >
> > Could anyone post some links or refer some books that could get me
> started?
> >
> > I was looking at the CISSP program hoping that it would be a good start,
> and
> > also hoping that certification would aid me in making the career switch,
> but
> > it seems that this program is designed for someone that already has 3-4
> > years of professional information security experience under their belt.
> Are
> > there any other information security certification programs that a
> beginner
> > like myself could use as a guide to get started?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Question for information security professionals
    ... Security+ cert is the first step. ... > also hoping that certification would aid me in making the career switch, ... > years of professional information security experience under their belt. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • ISO 27001 Newsletter: Edition 17 Released
    ... The latest issue of the newsletter covering the ISO information ... news and background with respect to the ISO security standards. ... Trials and Tribulations of an Information Security Officer ... Business Continuity Management: Preparation and Risk ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • REVIEW: "The Information Security Dictionary", Urs E. Gattiker
    ... "The Information Security Dictionary", Urs E. Gattiker, 2004, ... %T "The Information Security Dictionary" ... The entry for Authentication does not list the ... listing is given for trade secrets or trade marks. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • The ISO 27001 Newsletter: Issue 18 Published
    ... news and background with respect to the ISO security standards. ... Trials and Tribulations of an Information Security Officer Part 2 ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Issue 18 of The ISO 27000 Newsletter Released