Re: Avast AV vs AVG (Free Editions)

From: Bill (boober95_at_rogers.com)
Date: 01/23/04

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:27:42 GMT

NoneOfBusiness wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2004 04:44:38 GMT, donutbandit <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>>NoneOfBusiness <NoneofBusiness@nob.com> wrote in
>>
>>> I have switched to using Avast! Free Edition on one of my pc's to
>>> evaluate it, but i was just curious what other users think compared to
>>> AVG. Is it a better product, worse, why? User opinions needed. So far
>>> i kind of like it. The interface is not as intuitive as AVG's buts its
>>> no worse than some i have seen from Norton or McAfee.
>>>
>>> Is the detection and cleaning of virii/trojans good? AVG wasn't
>>> always great with this.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>>How do you tell? You have to get a virus before you know whether the AV
>>program works. I doubt if any of the regulars in this NG ever gets a
>>virus.
>>
>>Virus avoidance is 99% about prevention to begin with. If you practice
>>safe browsing habits, your AV program is merely a safety net.
>>
>>I use AVG, and the only time I ever saw it go off was when I inserted a
>>very old floppy disk to see if it was any good. AVG immediately reported a
>>boot sector virus on the disk. I suspected it was a false alarm, but
>>I destroyed the disk anyway.
>
> I ALWAYS practice safe computing. I know from testing and
> troubleshooting others who had AVG how it was. I like AVG, but i don't
> place as much trust in it as i do the Symantec Corporate AV. From
> what i saw of Avast, I like it as well but i don't have a true feel
> for the product yet.

I've been trying out AntiVir, another free package. I like the way it
works, ie the interface is simple, and you don't have to register. I don't
know how good it is at catching viruses though, since I've not had one!

/bill

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... I would also download and run HiJackThis and post your results to one ... 'restore as' in AVG continues to hang. ... >> AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ... >>> Yes but then there's that sudden detection that appears NOT to>>> correspond to any event related to that theory. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... I would also download and run HiJackThis and post your results to one ... 'restore as' in AVG continues to hang. ... >> AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ... >>> Yes but then there's that sudden detection that appears NOT to>>> correspond to any event related to that theory. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... Hi Ron - No, if you've already let A2 clean things, then ... But of course running this and using the HiJackThis ... At www.virustotal.com the AVG was the day's before AVG ... AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... Hi Ron - No, if you've already let A2 clean things, then ... But of course running this and using the HiJackThis ... At www.virustotal.com the AVG was the day's before AVG ... AVG 718 06.14.2005 no virus found ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Norton 2005
    ... Norton's bad press is by people who machines were screwed by norton's products, not it's virus catching behaviour. ... I only look up viruses at Norton's site as they seem to know the most about viruses. ... A Install a Norton product. ... > AVG is free for home use, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)