Re: Question for information security professionals

From: kulm_nd (g-w_at_ComcastREMOVE.net)
Date: 01/23/04

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 03:04:53 GMT

Security+ cert is the first step. Security typically covers malicious code,
attacks like DoS, remote access, e-mail, web server security, directory and
file transfers, IM, wireless security, network topology security, intrusion
detection, encryption, physical security, computer forensics, and social
engineering. As you can see, lots of operating system and software security.

g-w
"MT" <mt@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> I have been a software developer (mainly C++, Java, Perl and Oracle) for
the
> last eight years now and I am interested in taking my career down a
> different but related technical path. Anyway to get straight to the point:
> could anyone please tell me what discipline Information Security falls
> under. I know very little about it at this point but would like to learn
> more. Is it something that a developer like myself could transition into
or
> is it more of a network engineer or systems administration field? Or is it
> perhaps a little of each?
>
> Could anyone post some links or refer some books that could get me
started?

> I was looking at the CISSP program hoping that it would be a good start,
and
> also hoping that certification would aid me in making the career switch,
but
> it seems that this program is designed for someone that already has 3-4
> years of professional information security experience under their belt.
Are
> there any other information security certification programs that a
beginner
> like myself could use as a guide to get started?

Relevant Pages

  • ISO 27001 Newsletter: Edition 17 Released
    ... The latest issue of the newsletter covering the ISO information ... news and background with respect to the ISO security standards. ... Trials and Tribulations of an Information Security Officer ... Business Continuity Management: Preparation and Risk ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • REVIEW: "The Information Security Dictionary", Urs E. Gattiker
    ... "The Information Security Dictionary", Urs E. Gattiker, 2004, ... %T "The Information Security Dictionary" ... The entry for Authentication does not list the ... listing is given for trade secrets or trade marks. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • REVIEW: "The Information Security Dictionary", Urs E. Gattiker
    ... "The Information Security Dictionary", Urs E. Gattiker, 2004, ... %T "The Information Security Dictionary" ... The entry for Authentication does not list the ... listing is given for trade secrets or trade marks. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • The ISO 27001 Newsletter: Issue 18 Published
    ... news and background with respect to the ISO security standards. ... Trials and Tribulations of an Information Security Officer Part 2 ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Issue 18 of The ISO 27000 Newsletter Released