Re: computer crashed

From: Snowsquall (Snowsquall157_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/20/04

Date: 19 Jan 2004 16:19:37 -0800

"NWPS Artwork" wrote
> "Snowsquall" wrote
> > Last week I was on IRC and found out I had an older version with a
> > security hole. Someone on IRC said someone could plant a trojan and
> > trash the computer. I haven't been on IRC since. But when the
> > computer crashed, my mind started racing. Suppose a trojan was
> > planted and was set to go off a week later..... Oh I worry too much.
> >
> > This is what happened:
> > Our main computer froze and then it would not come back on.
> >
> > Here's the sequence of events:
> > First the computer froze just after visiting newspaper archives.
> > Then the "on off"(front)switch would not turn it off.
> > So we shut it off at the back. (Like shutting off the power cord)
> > But the "on off" switch did turn the computer on.
> >
> > Now the computer is on.
> > The fan works. It is cool (no heating up)
> > The monitor has a green light and a message on the screen.
> > The message says "monitor is working"
> > "please check the video cable and
> > computer"
> > OK so nothing wrong with the monitor.
> > The light is green so the connection to the video card must be OK.
> > So the front switch does not turn it off but will turn it on.
> > I seem to hear the harddrive doing something but no evidence on the
> > screen. I know this is not really a virus issue but I would like some
> > feedback if possible anyway.
>
> I had the exact same thing happen with a gateway, so I replaced the CPU
> thinking (hoping) that would solve my problem but it didn't, so I took my
> motherboard in for troubleshooting and found out that the via chipset had
> received a surge. Sorry but it sounds like you may (hopefully not) have the
> same problem.

Sorry for the panic. It was simply a freeze/lockup. Its just that the
on-off power switch would not shut it down and when I finally did get it
shut down I get this message. No beeps nothing else. Just the message that
the video should be checked. Left computer overnight and to my
amazement/embarrassment it was fully loaded ready to go. Turned out I think
I had too many things on the go and the computer got confused big time. It
is fine now --so far...
As for IRC I downloaded a newer more secure version so lessen the virus/
trojan paranoia..
Thanks for the feedback any how.