How safe is the NTFS encryption system

From: Per Pedersen (perpedersen33_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/18/04

    Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:18:06 +0100

    Hi' Folks

    I know that safty is a relative term, but how safe is the NTFS encryption
    system (WindowsXP), who can access the files encrypted, just me, or any
    member of the administrators group?

    Would it be safer/better to use an external (from the filesystem) encryption
    system?

    Regards

    Per Pedersen

    • Re: Safe way to list passwords on a computer
      ... The two current de facto standards for file encryption are PGP and GnuPG. ... two I have any personal experience with are Password Safe, ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Security of the Windows XP SP2 Boot Process
      ... If a hacker steals your notebook deactivating the Windows Firewall will be ... "I know that my system is only as safe as the ... If you must protect your data then you can use something like EFS ... data since EFS in the current SP of XP uses AES 256 encryption. ...
    • Re: Attaching conditions to RIPA ?
      ... No more than a big safe is an indication of valuables inside, ... computers that use encryption? ... How many households have computers that can ... passwords or PINs; it's a terrible breach of security. ...
      (uk.legal)
    • Re: OT - computer crashed
      ... safe mode, nothing but a black screen with a white cursor. ... someone breaks in and steals all your electronics, ... encryption key that even they don't know, but if you forget it, you're ... a fire safe in some other place, ...
      (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
    • Re: Attaching conditions to RIPA ?
      ... How many households have a big safe? ... computers that use encryption? ... How many households have computers that can ... passwords or PINs; it's a terrible breach of security. ...
      (uk.legal)