Re: Web URL Folder in My Network Places

From: Bill Harvey (bill_harvs_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/13/04

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:44:04 +0100

Ralph,

Thanks for the reply I suppose if I had looked at the properties for the
folder I may have sussed that out, you have put my mind at ease.

Cheers

Bill H

"Ralph A. Jones" <rajones@SPAM_ME_NOT_AT_tconl.com> wrote in message
> View that folder (whose icon I presume is the one with the ethernet
> cable beneath it and the "Internet globe" on it) simply as a "shortcut"
> to an Internet resource. It is simply an easy/quick/graphical/user
> friendly way to open a "client" connection to an Internet "server"
> machine (whose "folder" you have access to). The "folder" itself is not
> on your machine, it is on the server. The "Network Places" icon simply
> points to it, and will create the client/server authentication
> communication if you click on it. Creating this shortcut does *not*
> turn your computer into a "server". Your machine remains a "client",
> and will not start automatically accepting connections (which assumes,
> of course, you did not ever install "Personal Web Server" or "Internet
> Information Server" with any of your installs of FrontPage).
>
> HTH
>
> Bill Harvey wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have recently published a Web Site for my son using a free Web Host.
> > The Web Site has been written in Front Page and we had real problems
trying
> > to upload it following the hosts instructions.
> > in the end the only way we could do it was to create a folder in "My
Network
> > Places" to the URL for his home page, we have now got the Web Site up
and
> > running.
> >
> > The worry I now have is that I have a DSL connection and there is now a
> > folder in My Network Places to this URL, does this now mean that I have
> > opened up a connection to the internet which could be used for access to
my
> > PC.
> >
> > I am running Norton AV and Norton Internet Security.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > --
> > "It's best to know what your looking for before you start"
> >
> > E Mail bill_harveyspam@t-online.de
> > Remove spam to mail
> > Home Page http://bill_harvey.bei.t-online.de/home%20page.htm

Relevant Pages

  • cant execute "create table" command with Visual Web Developer express
    ... I have a folder with a web site I'm developing which is connected to a database. ... Every time I move the folder to a different computer it's a pain when I have to move the database and change the connection string. ...
  • Re: Manually Created Web Site Does Not Work - What am I Missing?
    ... For each different Web site ... have the same name or folder structure as my VS project. ... The ASP.NET Dev Server runs as the Administrator account in VS 2008. ...
  • Re: Hit Counter not Working
    ... You must publish from the exact same folder that is on the web site ... Make a new folder ... This is a post for the server groups and forums. ... Sharepoint Admin to extend the site with FP extensions. ...
  • Re: Issues with ActiveSync 4.5 beta
    ... Did you do the soft reset while you where still docked above or did you remove the rx1950 from the dock to do the soft reset? ... I'd suggest copying your files to a safe backup location (a folder) on your PC using File Explorer the next time you dock, you should also copy them using pocket file explorer to a storage card on your Pocket PC before docking again just to be extra safe. ... When I connected the PDA again, the WM_nestor folder has disappeared and AS asked me to create a new profile... ... If I try to force the connection, through File>Syncronize, the ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
  • Re: Hey Ronx are you available
    ... folder as a website. ... This is the default web site there is no wite site name envolved ... I guess one I figure this issue out then frontpage will start to work. ... web server you cannot publish to the web server - there is no need to ...