Re: Closing open ports in windows 98SE

From: Christa Bartsch (bartschc_at_web.de)
Date: 01/08/04

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:02:25 +0100

On 08.01.2004 11:33 Scrubbs wrote:

> I think Steve Gibson's site is a great resource. What I was really
> looking for, though, was a means of selectively closing individual ports
> - not speaking here of 135-139, or even port 445, which are already
> closed. And yes I do use a firewall already. However it's good practice
> to close down unwanted and unneeded ports; e.g rpc (remote procedure
> call) and others. It seems that this is not possible in windows98 (or in
> XP for that matter).
>
> Linux advocates point to their ability to close down whatever port they
> like, either on a single machine or selectively on a local network of
> PCs.
>
> I was wondering it this was possible in windows. Seems it isn't (?)
>
> /Scrubbs

As far as I understand: A port will be closed if no sercice or
application at this port is listening. The command "netstat -a" or
TCPView by www.sysinternals.com will show any process doing that by
listing the ports. Without your browser or any other internet
application opened there should be nothing even if you're connected to
the internet. If a request (be it a virus or any other internet traffic)
to a port arrives (just think of someone knocking at your door) the
answer will be like "I'm here, but I'm buying nothing." The end.

If you followed Steve Gibson's advice all ports should be closed and
will only be opened again if an application such as your browser needs
it. This is what you can do with all windows computers and they will be
less vulnerable to exploits.

IMHO If you are not running web or mail servers you do not need what
linux is able to. But you should ask someone who knows more about linux
than I do.

Christa Bartsch

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux executable picks up FreeBSD library over linux one and breaks
    ... But if it is in a subdirectory where no FreeBSD lib resides, it is ok (the linux browser sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the start script to the right path). ... Have a look how the native browser works, the private libs are not in ldconfig either and the browser start script sets the library path for the browser binary. ... don't care for ports to do at all. ... install libs or hide the libs in special dirs), ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: which linux? (not flame bait, thank you)
    ... > Portupgrade really helps with maintaining ports. ... I would like to have a little exposure to linux ... > keep my server and desktop running with the same versions, ... 'full' RH or SuSE install, but slightly behind the times, as is Debian, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Linux executable picks up FreeBSD library over linux one and breaks
    ... But if it is in a subdirectory where no FreeBSD lib resides, it is ok (the linux browser sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the start script to the right path). ... Have a look how the native browser works, the private libs are not in ldconfig either and the browser start script sets the library path for the browser binary. ... don't care for ports to do at all. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)
    ... Some time ago i had to use linux. ... if ports maintenance is the much bigger problem we can also look ... I think that if FreeBSD used OpenRC (maybe initially with a ... compatibility layer for existing initscripts) then it would make it ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Clamav out of date
    ... handle being seen by the internet running ftp server or web server or ... any type of internet app for connecting to... ... If you run a server you have to open ports in your firewall, ... neither Linux or Microsoft is superiour over each other and ...
    (Ubuntu)