Re: sick of Linux bias

From: John (jwholmes_at_muskyscent.net)
Date: 01/07/04

Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 05:01:28 GMT

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:00:24 +0000, Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

> "John" <jwholmes@muskyscent.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:18:56 +0000, Leythos wrote:
>> > In article <olrjvv0onk8m5ls7p1c8q8k7ece093rqs6@4ax.com>,
>> > jimwatt@aol.no_way says...
>
> <snip>
>
>> Anyone who genuinly wants to save money should go Linux. You can buy
>> 1 copy of say, SuSE 9 for $79 and install it 10 times for the desktops
> plus
>> one more for the server.
>
> <Sigh> The same old claim, the same old error. Or does noone read license
> agreements anymore?
>
> http://www.suse.co.uk/uk/business/products/sld/license.html

  True, I did make a mistake here. Linux itself and most of the distros
components can be installed freely howver, the SuSE box set does have
restrictions.

>> OpenOffice comes with it and can do 90% of what
>> Office does which is about 50% more than most people use. I admit Linux is
>> weaker in project management software. You may need wine (free and
>> included) to run Project. Dia and other diagraming programs may be
>> adequate but Visio is better so run that under wine also. That means you
>> will total $877 for the whole thing. Oh and you can run it on your
>> existing computers if they can handle Win98 or NT 4.0. No need for
>> expensive hardware upgrades.
>
> That's true, and one reason that SuSE in particular are apparently
> flourishing in MS-hating Germany. (Or should I call them Novell..? SuSE, not
> the Germans.. ;o)
>

> The current distros have come forward in leaps and bounds - IIRC, RH5 & 6
> were very finicky with NICs and graphics cards. This variable hardware
> support is one of the major problems, IMHO - you don't have to be operating
> /that/ many machines before you have to start exchanging your six days'
> consultancy for hardware. As I've discovered to my cost, RH9 can't handle my
> generic 15" LCD panel.

Strange. I have an 18" Envision that worked without so much as a reconfig.
Just unplugged the old 17" anvil and plugged in the LCD. No reboots!

>> There will be some training costs but not
>> much. Linux can operate pretty much like Windows for office people if
>> desired and OpenOffice is too close to need explaining for most people.
>
> <Cough> You met any genuine business users recently?

Actually yes I have. I know most of them are not interested in computers,
they just want to do their job. I still say the few repetitive things most
office workers do are also easy to do in Linux. And yes I do know that
there are groups of people who need a particular application for their job
and they must use whatever operating system runs that application. What
anyone likes doesn't matter in those cases be it Solaris, Windows, etc.

>> Oh yeah, you will also get the leading DNS software (BIND), leading web
>> server (Apache), leading e-mail server (Sendmail), a good firewall
>> (iptables) that will probably require hiring someone to setup but then all
>> firewalls should be setup by someone who knows what they are doing. You
>> also gain immunity from most (not all) viruses, increased reliability,
>> better user support and flexibility should your needs change. Both SuSE
>> and Microsoft are easy to update but SuSE needs it less frequently since
>> it is less of a target and arguably more secure.
>
> I'd argue about the better user support. I'd also argue against a Linux
> newbie attempting to setup Sendmail without knowing what they're doing (or,
> more accurately, deconfiguring it from a machine that doesn't need mail).
> Thankfully, basic firewall config is now included as part of the
> installation - something that Solaris has had for years. (Shock horror -
> something on-topic for this froup ;o)

  User support is pretty bad across the board no matter what computer
product unless you are a really big company who is worth their while.
Witness Dell moving corporate support back from India. I think the little
guy will get as good or better support under Linux but they may not
realize it because they don't know where to turn. A failing of Linux PR. I
agree that no newbie should setup a custom sendmail but the
same is true for exchange. Both can be royally screwed up without
knowledge. To deconfigure just remove it using rpm or Yast2 just like a
Windows box that doesn't need it.

> Glad to see that you've mentioned the update frequency, though - always a
> major headache for a large organization, who tend to think in five-year
> financial cycles. A techie's glee at frequent updates is a depressing cost
> overhead for a CFO.
>
> Talking of ongoing support costs.. I'm still trying to puzzle-out where all
> of these cheap Linux experts are hiding - the evangelists always mention
> them, but I never seem to find any. Cheap idiots claiming to know Windows
> are, unfortunately, ten-a-penny - as one would expect with that sort of
> market share.

  Yeah, I have seen very few cheap and good IT people. That dilemma is os
agnostic. I do feel that the lesser number of Linux people available tend
to average better skills on the os. That's average skill level. The best
are the best no matter what system.

>> I used SuSE for the example but there are other distros that work as
>> well. RedHat has recently ditched the home user/SMB market for the
>> enterprise but you can buy/download RedHat 9 still.
>
> True - I think that you'll find this happening more and more - particularly
> as more business people see it as a valid competitor to MS. These companies
> are around to make money, after all.
>
> And finally, a declaration of non-interest: I don't give a toss what OS I'm
> using, just so long as it's the best for the task in hand.

  Despite my obvious bias I admit Windows is still king of the desktop and
will be for some time. I am seeing less and less Windows servers though.
I am proud to say that at my last company we had over 40 linux servers
with more than a year of uptime when a lightening strike during UPS
servicing took them down. God I love patching and updating without
rebooting! Bad luck but they all came back up.

  Wait a minute! This post is mostly serious. That won't do. You're mother
wears army boots! (I feel better now).

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is SuSe ready for me yet?
    ... They astounded me with their ease of install and use. ... If you install the suse 'evaluation' version of 10.0 or be sure to ... A year in linux time is equivalent to many years of windows time. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: What is a MVP?
    ... I made no claim about my person other than I worked as support for Unix ... Windows is like a platform. ... Do I consider you to be yet another Linux troll?.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Is SuSe ready for me yet?
    ... They astounded me with their ease of install and use. ... If you install the suse 'evaluation' version of 10.0 or be sure to ... A year in linux time is equivalent to many years of windows time. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Improvement in Freeview tuning functionality
    ... difficult in Windows too, of course, but, as my post and the following ... Sorry, but are you claiming that with all linux distros, etc, it isn't ... support to a limited number of models, ... The second method is to take all the installation mechanisms of the OS ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • RE: Windows 98 box is owned
    ... even though I still have to convert my wife and parents over to Linux, ... > longer have support in the future. ... Windows PC's require a lot of overhead to keep ... >>2) Install ZoneAlarm. ...
    (Security-Basics)