Re: Need e-mail to autosend on bootup...

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[
Date: 01/05/04

Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:03:01 -0000

"Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
> In article <>,
> says...
> > >Why do an email? Are you looking for notification of the machine
> > >or a specific email? If you're just looking for a notification of the
> > >boot, you could use a command line utility that "gets" a specific HTML
> > >page or a specific image file from a web server you maintain... you
> > >could do this with a simple shortcut in the start-up folder.
> > >

> > Thanks for the reply. I will elaborate. This is part of a very
> > simple homebrew security system.
> >
> > The reason I would like to do e-mail is to send a security alert to my
> > pager when power is applied to the computer. The computer itself is
> > an ancient Gateway P-120 running Windows 98 and does not contain a
> > modem card. (They were basically giving the machines away at work, so
> > I thought I could put it to good use for almost zero cost).
> >
> > I can easily have it launch a web page on bootup. What I am looking
> > for is a way of also auto launching my default e-mail program (Eudora)
> > and hitting the send button. Sorry if this was less than clear!

> Your pager company, does it provide an online way of paging you? Can you
> inject your own text into the script and bookmark the submit? If so,
> that would be yet another very easy way to do it. Go to their online
> page, take a look at the code, see if you can inject the pager number
> and a brief amount of info into the text area for the page into a URL.
> If you can, just bookmark the injection/URL, put that bookmark in as a
> shortcut in your start-up folder.

That sounds the best solution. If you prefer the email approach, then there
are plenty of SMTP utilities out there - try Googling for "SMTP command line

Although possibly not as good as a direct page (or, indeed, in addition to a
page), it's probably going to be a heck of a lot cleaner than starting-up
the whole of Eudora, say.

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Byetta
    ... opinions on the stuff? ... I sure do hate the idea of having to inject it. ... It is essentially replacing Starlix in my regimen. ...
  • Byetta
    ... I just started Byetta at the suggestion of my endocrinologist. ... opinions on the stuff? ... I sure do hate the idea of having to inject it. ...