Re: Why is Win Explorer accessing the Net?

From: Black Baptist (pray_at_the.church.com)
Date: 01/02/04

Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:59:37 GMT

Lassi Hippeläinen rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Vance Roos wrote:
>>
>> I run Win XP Pro and I recently got a message from my Sygate Pro 5.0
>> firewall which said:
>>
>> ==== START QUOTE ====
>> "Windows Explorer is trying to broadcast an ICMP Type 10 (Router
>> Solicitation) packet to [224.0.0.2]. Do you want to allow this
>> program access to the network?"
>> ==== END QUOTE ====
>>
>> When I look it up it seems that 224.0.0.2 is for something called
>> "Local Network Control Block" (See
>> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3171.html)
>>
>> My QUESTION to the newsgroup is should I allow Windows Explorer access
>> to the Net in order for it to go to that IP address?
>
> That seems to be an attempt to discover a router in your LAN. Since your
> internal LAN traffic has no business in the Internet, I'd order the FW
> to silently discard those packets, no matter what application is sending
> them.
>
> -- Lassi

If he did that then running a url from the start menu won't work.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why is Win Explorer accessing the Net?
    ... >> I run Win XP Pro and I recently got a message from my Sygate Pro 5.0 ... > That seems to be an attempt to discover a router in your LAN. ... > internal LAN traffic has no business in the Internet, ... > to silently discard those packets, no matter what application is sending ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Why is Win Explorer accessing the Net?
    ... >> I run Win XP Pro and I recently got a message from my Sygate Pro 5.0 ... > That seems to be an attempt to discover a router in your LAN. ... > internal LAN traffic has no business in the Internet, ... > to silently discard those packets, no matter what application is sending ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Linksys WRT54G and Sygate PRo
    ... Have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. ... cooperate with Sygate Pro. ... Sygate continues to block access to the Internet ...
  • Sygate Pro & Linksys WRT54G
    ... Have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. ... cooperate with Sygate Pro. ... Sygate continues to block access to the Internet ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Sygate Pro confusing entry block in traffic logs
    ... Linkysys wired router - not networked. ... I get this blocked listing in my traffic logs many times an hour, ... The log entry is: ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)