Re: Check for security loop holes

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 12/21/03

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:11:32 -0000

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-014.asp

> >> Take a look at this. Now I have not installed this patch and
> >> many others... (I am a dial up user and simply cannot afford
> >> to stay online to install all of them).
> >
> >You asked if you were safe. I gave the link with Dec 18 exploit for which
MS
> >did not have a patch.
>
> Yes thank you. That is what I am trying to find out. So
> WITHOUT THE PATCH with a FIREWALL can I protect my self?

Only until the next fix-for-an-exploit.

Or, to put it another way, if you are walking down a road, there's a chance
that you will be run-over.

It doesn't matter whether you are wearing Microsoft or Open Source socks -
although there are different probabilities for "lucky" socks ;o)

H1K

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MS02-018 Breaking ASP ODBC
    ... Just lucky I guess. ... > load some VB components that fail to connect to my Oracle database. ... Uninstalling the patch did not help. ... but this just killed one our production servers. ...
  • Re: How to make my HP PrecisionScan Pro 2.03 scan with the same adjustment as in its Preview window?
    ... Thanks, Bob. ... I felt I was lucky to get anything--I have a 5p on my ... plus a patch is available. ... My HP PrecisionScan Pro 2.03 gives images with different b&w threshold ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Play Want Bin Expenditure (housemove edi.)
    ... "Jaimie Vandenbergh" wrote in message ... and me have been lucky though. ... The last patch recently helped a lot not sure what it fixed but since then and 50 hours + gameplay no crashes or bugs ... [..getting old and still playing video games..] ...
    (uk.games.video.misc)
  • copy_from_user again()
    ... I thought a little more about your patch. ... IIRC mount was quite sensitive to that, as in it passed some data before ... the a fault boundary and relies on that data getting through. ... be lucky with the alignment or it might now. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)