Re: Home Network and Firewalls

From: Sue Doo Nym (aw_at_hod.aarg.net)
Date: 12/19/03

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:59:33 -0000

In article <GPsEb.72776$bK1.60668@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>, The
Absolutely Amazing hr@tngi.com says...
> What exactly is the "main box" that is suppose to act like a firewall? Is
> it a PC? Is it the modem? Also how are the computers being networked behind
> this "main box"?
> You need to clarify the specific setup involved here to get a valid answer
> to your question.

Sorry if I haven't explained it enough. It is one thing that my husband
has taken over, so not had much chance to see what he has done and ask
questions. Like most men he just got on with it and didn't want a women
in the way at the time:-)

By the main box I mean the black box that has all the leads from the 3
computers going in to it. Each PC has an ethernet card in. 2 PC's are
upstairs with various holes through walls/airing cupboard etc. I have
asked the question as with both of us being new to this, although husband
is very technical the "expert" who gave us the advice said it is not
needed as the box acts as the firewall with the fixed address. I said I
am not convinced as with even only one IP address surely a hacker can get
in if they really want.

--
He said, "It is finished." Not "I am finished."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [OT] Computer support versus buying from Ikea.
    ... hemyd plaatste dit op zijn scherm: ... My husband can make and break computers, TV's, or anything other ... As I was carrying my heavy tool-laden case on my rounds, I sometimes wondered what a customer would thing if one day I opened it and there, on a nice gold lined red velvet cushion, was a bloody big iron hammer! ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: [OT] Computer support versus buying from Ikea.
    ... hemyd plaatste dit op zijn scherm: ... My husband can make and break computers, TV's, or anything other ... As I was carrying my heavy tool-laden case on my rounds, I sometimes wondered what a customer would thing if one day I opened it and there, on a nice gold lined red velvet cushion, was a bloody big iron hammer! ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: [OT] Computer support versus buying from Ikea.
    ... My husband can make and break computers, TV's, or anything other ... Cant make a proper painting though. ... As I was carrying my heavy tool-laden case on my rounds, I sometimes wondered what a customer would thing if one day I opened it and there, on a nice gold lined red velvet cushion, was a bloody big iron hammer! ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Girl Genius 9/22
    ... than computers, remember? ... I'm sorry to hear your husband has been too busy to look at it. ... (and so, if you did fully gamma-correct them, menus and other things ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: "Genuine Microsoft Products"
    ... my husband & I bought our computers from Costco. ... PowerPoint MVP ... Same thing with my husband. ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)