Re: E-mail suggestions for a small law office (long)

From: zenner (zenner_at_pacbell.net)
Date: 12/19/03

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:27:55 GMT

Contract is better if there is no in house expertise. They need a set it and
forget type environment, contract out with SLA agreement to fit what they
can afford.

"Beachcomber" <not_real@nospam.xyz> wrote in message
> A small law office startup partnership I am working with is in need of
> an e-mail system for a staff of 5-6 persons. I'm wondering if it
> would be best to install an on site dedicated mail server, or contract
> with an offsite 3rd party to provide e-mail. They have a dedicated
> static IP broadband connection, Linksys 24 port router/hub, VPN
> capabilities, but no full time IT person to deal with updates, spam,
> security, and virus disinfection issues. This work is contracted out
> to part-time consultants.
>
> Here is the list of features the principal partners would like to
> see...
>
> 1. User administration of the entire e-mail domain account with a
> master admin login and password so that employees can have e-mail
> monitored, and accounts created, deleted, etc. without the delay of
> calling a consultant or outside 3rd party to do this work.
>
> 2. In spite of Microsoft security and periodic virus problems, they
> like Outlook and the ability to VPN from home to office and have the
> Outlook interface come up (with Calender, Contacts, and all that other
> good stuff). They also would like to use Webmail e-mail as a backup
> method in case they are operating from a PC without VPN for some
> reason.
>
> 3. Secured e-mail, preserving the confidentiality of attachments and
> the text of messages to a zone within the firewall on the premises
> would highly desirable, but not necessarily the deciding factor.
>
> The basic questions are:
>
> Should this company contract with a third party to setup a Microsoft
> Exchange server (off premises and outside the office firewall) to do
> this work? Anyone have an estimate as to the cost, licensing
> requirements of this option, etc? Is this even possible?
>
> Or...
>
> Should they install an on-site, inside the router e-mail server
> solution? Who would be the best person to do the updates, and restore
> crashes, cleanout the inevitable viruses, etc? How much daily/weekly
> maintainance does an e-mail server require? Do they need to hire a
> full time person for this?
>
> Which would be the most cost-effective and reliable solution?
>
> Any assistance or advice would be most appreciated...
>
> Beachcomber

---

  • Re: Listen Up You Moron Sternoids
    ... > There are two separate issues involved in the Hoohoo scandal. ... > Party A and Party B make a contract. ... > damages caused by that breach. ...
    (alt.fan.howard-stern)
  • Re: How to evict a husband
    ... Michigan Divorce Support Forums ... AWARD OF PROPERTY OWNED BY SPOUSE TO PARTY ... A husband and wife shall be equally entitled to the rents, products, income, ... She may contract with respect to the property, sell, transfer, mortgage, ...
    (misc.legal)
  • Re: Copyright laws and downloading music.
    ... to disc...I bought a record once and I copied it once, that's twice. ... relied on as legal advice for the reasons posted here: ... A contract is a meeting of the minds where two ... himeslf as an advocate for another party in such a way that the other ...
    (misc.legal)
  • Re: Divorce laws are destroying marriage
    ... pointed out to you, in contract law, one party breaking the terms of an ... Ben...is that you don't understand the marriage ... The state is not a party in a mariage. ... that would be the person wanting the divorce. ...
    (soc.men)
  • Re: Product Activation
    ... party who has infringed or violated the agreement. ... The party who objects to the terms of the contract, and who wants to be relieved from having to abide by those terms, would normally be the one to initiate the action. ... Microsoft is going to have to file a civil case on its own (i.e., ... A great many other software manufacturers have long used more stringent technical measures to enforce their licensing terms. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)