Re: Home Network and Firewalls

From: Howard Roth (hr_at_tngi.com)
Date: 12/19/03

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:50:30 GMT

What exactly is the "main box" that is suppose to act like a firewall? Is
it a PC? Is it the modem? Also how are the computers being networked behind
this "main box"?
You need to clarify the specific setup involved here to get a valid answer
to your question.

"Sue Doo Nym" <aw@hod.aarg.net> wrote in message
> We are in the process of setting up a home network linking 3 computers
> together. (dial up) We have been told that we don't need a firewall as
> the main box with a fixed ISP address acts as a firewall. Can anyone
> confirm if this is correct or not?
>
> Thanks
> --
> He said, "It is finished." Not "I am finished."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Network and XP
    ... XP built-in firewall) and you may find the solution to your problem. ... > function to view workgroup computers, ... because an XP Pro computer can't act as a WINS ...
  • Re: Home Network and Firewalls
    ... > We are in the process of setting up a home network linking 3 computers ... > the main box with a fixed ISP address acts as a firewall. ... connecting to the internet - I see dial-up users getting hacked all the ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Home Network and Firewalls
    ... We are in the process of setting up a home network linking 3 computers ... the main box with a fixed ISP address acts as a firewall. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Home Network and Firewalls
    ... > We are in the process of setting up a home network linking 3 computers ... > the main box with a fixed ISP address acts as a firewall. ... the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Black,Blue,andBlack again
    ... then me rebooting more times than I can count. ... seriously and have always used ZoneAlarm, ... This way in the past we have been able to stop our computers from being ... We have now tried using another firewall software called Sygate Personal ...
    (microsoft.public.security)