Re: Why is Win Explorer accessing the Net?

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 12/18/03

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:25:30 -0000

"Colonel Flagg" <colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org> wrote in
message news:MPG.1a4a7ac5979d5ec5989c15@news.charter.net...
> In article <mji0uvsrk6cvn4nvbp4vu3acqsefcpsj19@4ax.com>,
> badnews@hansenonline.net says...
>
> > >just a guess. course that's how MS Programmers do their jobs.
> >
> > And you know this how?

> the *quality* or rather *lack thereof* of their products.

Hmm. Personally, I'd call that a severe lack of testing.

I've seen far worse stuff marked as "Gold" when seconded to the QA lab of a
company that I used to work for (smaller than MS, but with an annual
turnover a few billion more than my current employer).

The best one, by far, was a NetWare agent that didn't even attempt to do
what it should, but simply rendered the box unbootable. That was an
interesting one to fix, given that it was only the second time I'd sat in
front of a NetWare box.. Even "better" was an official shipping CD that had
apparently passed QA, but immediately aborted InstallShield when run on
*any* standard box. That was a particularly "interesting" customer site
visit, needless to say..

A lot of these cock-ups come from invalid assumptions made at an interface
level (I'm generalising, here - I have no better idea of the programmers'
skills than anyone else here).

Although I would like to see a little less in the "buffer overflow"
department!

--
Hairy One Kenobi
in the first place. So there!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why is Win Explorer accessing the Net?
    ... I'd call that a severe lack of testing. ... The best one, by far, was a NetWare agent that didn't even attempt to do ... given that it was only the second time I'd sat in ... the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: OT View From the UK: Outrage Over Plans To Build Library Next To Sarah Palin
    ... 'blurbs' support the opinions you have previosly formed. ... read only books that confirm my prejudices and hard-won opinions. ... and the second time you didn't respond. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: Selling Trumpet: Price inquiry
    ... I am inquiring for opinions if this is ... This is the second time I have listed and am suprized I have ... level horn because people have told me it is. ...
    (rec.music.makers.trumpet)
  • Selling Trumpet: Price inquiry
    ... I am inquiring for opinions if this is a ... This is the second time I have listed and am suprized I have had ... level horn because people have told me it is. ...
    (rec.music.makers.trumpet)