Re: Globefinder

From: Peter James (nospam_at_petefjames.clara.co.uk)
Date: 12/10/03

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:06:22 +0000

On 9 Dec 2003 20:16:03 -0800, yosponge@yahoo.com (sponge) wrote:

>snipped
>To be blunt, the only reason why I even *offer* instructions to lock
>down IE or OE is because there is a certain segment of users who will
>not switch; some people, it seems, would rather give up their first
>born than switch from a software product they know. But it's a false
>hope. I forget who summed up the current situation with IE and OE,
>with this: 'Patching [IE and OE] is like patching a wicket basket.
>You'll never stop all the leaks.'

I used to run a small computer club for the over 60's. They all used
the net, they all used Email and they all used IE and OE. And
nothing, and I mean nothing I did would get them to change. The
frightening reason was that they "Trusted" MS and all its works, to
the point that they got cross with me trying to insist that IE and OE
was unsafe. I eventually left, if only to retain my sanity.

--

Peter James
Change AT to @ to reply

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wish to network my home computers but dont know Jack about it
    ... So a computer network may have 4 computers on one segment of wires, ... You can think of a hub ... get a hub instead of a switch. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Strange VLAN / DHCP / IP issue...
    ... SuperScope on the DHCP Server. ... Superscope are part of the same "physical segment". ... Just a guess, but, your Switch ports may be statically set to a certain ...
  • Re: spanning tree - looping basic question
    ... Segment B ... Now if Host A on Segment A wants to communicate with Host B of Segment ... the packet goes to Switch A. ... either B will complain, shut down a port or 2 and break the loop, or merrily ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: 3 segment wireless network
    ... can't see each other because the wireless part of the wireless router ... that strange, because if that were the case, why can it switch packets ... All of the other hardware is just bridges and hubs. ... in each segment can't see each other in My Network Places? ...
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Multiple small switches vs. a single big one; Granularity of control
    ... the switch configuration. ... With separate switches, ... each segment can talk freely to all other servers on the segment but not ... What about 6500 with FWSM? ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)