Re: End of all Open Source.

From: Barry Margolin (barmar_at_alum.mit.edu)
Date: 12/05/03

Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:08:26 GMT

In article <bqe2jk$4uh$1@string.physics.ubc.ca>,
 unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote:

> Olathe <Olathe@DALnet.irc> writes:
>
> ]Bill Unruh wrote:
>
> ]> Sorry, but your pleading can be used for any speech. "We are not
> ]> restricting your right to disagree with our president. You can say all
> ]> you want about him. You will just be shot on the spot for spreading lies
> and
> ]> defaming him." Under your arguments all countries in the world uphold
> ]> free speech.
>
> ]I realize that. Constitutions don't work at limiting governments (note
> ]all the people who say that the US would be much better to live in if
> ]the government actually followed the Constitution). Neither does
> ]thinking about things in a certain way.
>
> ?? That is the ONLY thing consitutions do. They are limitations placed
> on the government ( and just the federal govenment in the case of the
> US constitution).

First of all, only a small part of the US Constitution, mostly the Bill
of Rights, tries to limit the government's abilities. Most of the
Constitution defines the structure of the government and the republic,
and defines some basic processes.

Second, the operative words in Olathe's statement are "don't work".
Although the Bill of Rights attempts to be very restrictive, it doesn't
always work. For instance, there are probably many NRA members who
think that the 2nd Amendment has been trampled.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Woburn, MA

Relevant Pages

  • RKBA Always an individual right --- Madisons BOR Speech
    ... Madison's Introduction of the Bill of Rights ... Constitution, ... amendments as are proper for Congress to propose to the Legislatures ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • OT Excerpt from "Unequal protection...Re: OT Corporate History
    ... The Bill of Rights ... But it was very much a part of his thinking during the time when the Bill of Rights was born. ... Thus, while Madison saw the rise of corporate power and its dangers during and after his presidency, the issues weren't obvious to him when he was helping write the United States Constitution decades earlier. ... Shortly after George Washington became the first President of the United States in 1789, his Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, proposed that the federal government incorporate a national bank and assume state debts left over from the Revolutionary War. ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
  • Re: CNCing a new case for the Constitution
    ... >Bill of Rights were a part of the "original" Constitution of The United ... >regarding what the government could not do. ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Activists today invoke the 2nd and 4th Amendments as if theyre kindred spirits with Madison. Heres t
    ... The secret history of the Bill of Rights ... U.S. Constitution ' the foundation of American liberty? ... told by civil libertarians on the left alarmed by government ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Obamas regulatory chief pushes new bill of rights
    ... Obama's regulatory chief pushes new 'bill of rights' ... Cass Sunstein part of effort to change interpretation of Constitution ...
    (alt.politics.bush)