Re: CD-R and CD-R Audio

From: Mimic (
Date: 12/02/03

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:27:56 -0000

"John Settle" <> wrote in message
> I inadvertantly placed a cd-r in my Pioneer audio cd writer ( to be
> to) and the unit failed to accept it as a writeable medium. Fair enough,
> licence duty paid - no recording - a fact of life. This however got me
> thinking - some things do - where is the coding on the audio cd's ?. Out
> interest I even tried to record a blank audio cd on my computer to a cd-r
> and see if the coding would be transferred, alas not. So how is the coding
> placed on the audio cd's which allows an audio cd writer to discriminate
> differrence between cd's but does not allow a computer reader/writer to
> detect the coding. This is NOT an attempt to duplicate the more expensive
> audio cd's onto standard cd-r's but the old grey cells are colliding at a
> rate of knots trying to work it out. Has anyone any idea ?. Seems clever
> stuff to me - but then again, so is the horseless carriage.
> Thanks in advance, answers in monosyllables would be appreciated, I've
> just mastered the vcr and now we have dvd !.
> Regards
> John

i prolly completely misread that, but

CD-R's have a lower relection than Audio specific CD-Rs, thats why some
CD-Rs with audio on wont play in a stereo, cuz the laser isnt "powerful"
enough to read the weaker reflections.

and those that dont."
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

Relevant Pages

  • Re: CD-Rs
    ... This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from ... What are CD-R and DVD-R media? ... you're used to and offer the same audio and image quality. ... Through manufacturing on demand, CreateSpace, part of the ...
  • Re: stupid question about a burned cd
    ... burning an Audio CD using a Digital Audio CD, ... I haven't seen a music-only CD-R for years. ... some crippled audio gear that required a 'key' on the CD-R media. ...
  • Re: DVD-RW vs. CD-RW
    ... So I guess I should use a blank CD-R, instead because that would be more compatible for copying from a CD? ... One of the purposes of getting a dual DVD drive is that a DVD has more storage space, now it appears that I have to get the blank CD media and not take advantage of the extra storage. ... Actuallt the dual DVD Drives in the Dell computer plays both DVD's and CD's. ... The question is if an audio *CD* can be copied to a blank DVD-R or DVD-RW, on this dual drive, or is only a blank CD-R or RW capable of having an audio CD being burned on. ...
  • Problems with WinMedia-Player and CD-R
    ... MediaPlayer is my default audio progam. ... The audio on my default CD-R, Drive D, has no sound. ... I checked SYSTEM Device Manager and it reports that the CD player is ... I tried updating that driver and it said no newer ...
  • Re: WMA/MP3 format
    ... WMP shows you the Audio CD, ... See for some helpful WMP info. ... > I have recorded 12 tracks on CD-R which I can paly on Windows Media ... > But when I right click the cd-rom player with this cd-r and then click ...