Re: Outlook E-Mail Encryption Problem

From: Joan Riverton (X_at_X.net)
Date: 12/02/03

Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:49:09 GMT

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:37:41 +1100, "lyal" <lyalc@spam.ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>"Jyrki Nivala" <jyrki.nivala@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>> > On our system, Outlook will send her messages "signed" but will not
>> > allow encryption. (We have exchanged keys with her and are using her
>> > public key in Outlook).
>>
>> What is the the error message you receive? Does she have a e-mail address
>in
>> her certificate? Is it the same you are using when sending the message?
>>
>> Who has signed her certificate? Is the root (that has signed her
>> certificate) installed into your Win2000 workstations?
>> -JHN
>> >
>> > Something in Outlook is preventing encryption ... does anybody know
>> > what that might be? (Other client users are using identical Win2000,
>> > Lotus Notes R5 on their workstations and have no problems.)
>> >
>> > TIA
>
>Do you have the recipients encryption public key (not the signing one...)?

Thank you for your reply. I didn't know there was a difference
between a public key and a signing one. Please tell me how to make
the distinction ... I'm new at this, and so far I've been lucky ...

The key we have was downloaded from Verisign by going to their
"repository." Which key would that be?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RSA vs AES
    ... > Verisign, MS took the extra burden of issuing a critical patch to ... > those stolen root CAs. ... if any of these other keys ever got compromised ... ... BBN Certificate Services ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Signtool doesnt add entire chain when signing files
    ... you only need to ensure that the intermediate certificates are included in the signature so that the client can build a chain to the root. ... The root needs to be installed as a trusted root certificate on the client in order for the client to trust the certificate. ... Given that you don't have any intermediate certificates, it doesn't matter or not whether they are included in the signature so it should not matter if there is any difference between the wizard mode and the command line tool mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Error
    ... I have your WS 2008 PKI and Certificate Security book. ... These surfaced when trying to publish my root ... CertUtil: A referral was returned from the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Certutil error
    ... After I ran cmd as an administrator it published the CRL and CRT file in the AD without error. ... I have your WS 2008 PKI and Certificate Security book. ... These surfaced when trying to publish my root ... CertUtil: A referral was returned from the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Schannel CertificateChainValidation failing
    ... I am not fully up to speed with certs (root, end entity, ... valid Windows trusted root cert. ... You've enabled certificate revocation checking, and the validation code ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)