Re: How do you know you didn't get infected by Swen?

From: Jeff (jeffrey_at_cunningham.net)
Date: 11/27/03

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:03:50 GMT

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:44:08 -0800, wylbur37 wrote:

> How can you really determine whether or not your computer has been
> infected by the Swen worm?

I can understand how this might be a problem. One way you could check is
install a packet sniffer (like Ethereal) and monitor SMTP activity for
awhile. If you have the virus it should be sending out stuff frequently
which you should easily be able to spot.

-Jeff

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Swen Internet Worm(W32.Swen.A@Worm)
    ... Petition your ISP to install AV software on their respective email servers. ... |> itself to UseNet News Groups and well as it has its own email engine. ... |> | i got the Swen Worm but i deleted it. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion)
  • Re: Firefox Browser not showing up in ISA reports
    ... some other packet sniffer on the machine and then install Firefox and Opera. ... If the sniffer doesn't pick them up properly then run the browsers from ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • Re: UPnP ... continuous traffic?
    ... Tx2 wrote in ... >> You can install a packet sniffer like Ethereal on the ... >> post back your findings ... An idiot can install Ethereal and get it to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Packet sniffing wi-Fi-hacking neighbor (
    ... they installed a packet sniffer on his ... found traffic containing Ardolf's name and Comcast account. ... What packet sniffer would I install if I were to ... A packet sniffer of any sort would work, placed in between the router and the VDSL modem, along with a hub. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Start button quit working
    ... Heard of Swen worm, backwards spells newS. ... If it is a normal, like out of the box, retail XP clean install that he had, you have one CD and do a repair install by changing the BIOS and booting with the installation CD. ... through My Computer or Windows Explorer but gets no ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)