Are ISP assigned Addresses Private Address Spaces?

From: mchiper (notnuts_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/24/03

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:13:55 -0500

 In alt.computer.security, Msg ID: <c1.2b5.2pDrww$1G4@12-237-213-129.client.attbi.com>
 "William L. Hartzell" <wlhartzell@comcast.net>, wrote:
>mchiper wrote:
>
>>>Now whether you or ISP is is performing NAT or PAT to allow private
>>>or even duplicate IP is really another issue.
>>
>> I vehemently dis agree..
>> The ONLY question is:
>> Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they
>> assign to me using a Dynamic assignmet scheme..

>Depends upon where you are, your rights. In the US, ISPs are required
>by law to know your IP and to have records of the IP assigned to you and
>when you used them. There is a legal debate in court as to the legal
>method to require ISP to surrender this information to third parties,
>but not a debate about the fact that they have to when a proper writ is
>issued. This is not the place to be debating lawyer stuff that has
>little bearing upon your rights. BTW, you can change your NIC's mac
>address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP
>enrollment process, if any. Your ISP has said (and you've repeated
>without understanding: "install a new NIC") that will cause a different
>IP to be assigned to you. Do it and save yourself a lot of telephone
>hassle vis your ISP. The question of how the ISP assigns IP to you is
>bogus. You have no need to know or care as it does not affect your
>rights or security. The only thing that affects your rights beyond the
>common & statute law rights is your ISP service agreement contract.
>Read it.
>
>Why is this thread being posted to Linux and OS/2 newsgroups?
As I said before, to ALL the groups..
Because the question is FUNDAMENTAL, and because it is IMPORTANT
to every one who knows more about networks, computers, bits a,d bytes,
than I DO !!!
>The only question of How-to change your NIC's mac address would be proper in
>these newsgroups, not everything else that has gone on in this thread previously.
But I DO know How to do this mind boggling SIMPLE thing..
So, it's NOT the ONLY question..

>Start a new thread if you wish to ask that question as most
>who would know how, have killed this thread already.
>And don't cross-post to those alt newsgroups!

Please DO NOT tell me How to protect MY privacy..
I'll do BOTH of the things you suggest.

--
Ray

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... > Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they ... your rights. ... address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... Why is this thread being posted to Linux and OS/2 newsgroups? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... > Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they ... your rights. ... address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... Why is this thread being posted to Linux and OS/2 newsgroups? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... >> assign to me using a Dynamic assignmet scheme.. ... >little bearing upon your rights. ... >address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... >these newsgroups, not everything else that has gone on in this thread previously. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... >> assign to me using a Dynamic assignmet scheme.. ... >little bearing upon your rights. ... >address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... >these newsgroups, not everything else that has gone on in this thread previously. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... your rights. ... There is a legal debate in court as to the legal ... >>address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... new SPAM law passes this week, not to mention that you'll be in breach ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)