Re: AT&T Customer Service in New Delhi? Your Security is Nil.

From: Fowl (GoSuckAnEgg_at_Chicken.com)
Date: 11/15/03

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:42:59 +0000

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:47:12 +0000, nemo <nemo@nospam.xyz> wrote:

>There was a programme on UK television about overseas call centres and
>they even teach the operators about UK soap programmes so that they
>can appear as if they're from the UK.
>
>Regards
>
>nemo
>
>On 13 Nov 2003 14:02:47 -0800, n1pop@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Anonymous Sender <anonymous@remailer.metacolo.com> wrote in message news:<bbccf0ce38b6aead1c77657a37c4a3b8@remailer.metacolo.com>...
>>> Call their customer service at 1-800-CALL ATT and if a heavily accented
>>> customer service representative answers, ask what city you called.
>>
>>You can ask if they are in the United States. If they decline to
>>answer, hang up. If they answer, you then can decide whether to hang
>>up or continue the call.
>>
>>> All your personal information ... have all been exported overseas, beyond the
>>> reach of U.S. Law!
>>
>>Well, not really. They do have access to it, which is more nitpicking
>>than anything, but the data has not been exported.
>>
>>> Then put
>>> them on notice that if in 30 days all operations have not been return to
>>> secure U.S. quarters, you will cancel your service.
>>
>>Playing Devil's advocate, what makes you think AT&T or whomever
>>outsources overseas will purge your personal information after you've
>>closed your account? You probably know that the minute you leave them
>>they will bombard you with enticements (junk mail) to get you back.
>>If all your personal information is purged when you cancel your
>>account, how come they still know where you live?
>>
>>And it's not just outsourcing companies, either. Earthlink did the
>>same thing to me, as did GTE (now Verizon).

Dell Support Service is in India.

To Reply: madballs64 (at) gmx (dot) net

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AT&T Customer Service in New Delhi? Your Security is Nil.
    ... you then can decide whether to hang ... outsources overseas will purge your personal information after you've ... If all your personal information is purged when you cancel your ... account, how come they still know where you live? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Identity theft scam against eBay users
    ... The scam is a social engineering hack to obtain personal information ... requesting personal information including the recipient/victim's bank ... account number and routing number, ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Data Protection
    ... a username they'll happilly hand over all their personal information. ... After a few tries we got there, and he was able to access the "account" ... It was a bit naughty of them. ... The Data Controller is supposed to ask ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Identity theft scam against eBay users
    ... Billing information's records are out of date. ... will result in account termination. ... > requesting personal information including the recipient/victim's bank ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Data protection issues - duty to 3rd parties ?
    ... I created an account to play with ... peoples contact lists). ... The data implications of selling a mailing list are that under the Data Protection Act, email addresses are considered as personally identifiable data. ... Probably the easiest way to answer your question is by looking at the Information Commissioner's page on Personal Information: ...
    (uk.legal)