Re: Supplies Monitor is trying to broadcast to [224.0.0.22]

From: Mangled&Munged (postmaster_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 11/11/03

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:00:52 GMT

It is easy to make claims that someone's software calls home.
But fact and fiction should be filed in different bins.
As I mentioned earlier, packets directed to 224.*.*.* are not
dialing home. These are multi-cast packets and will not forwarded.

If someone has proof of Lexmark software dialing home, it would
be nice to see it. I'm not a fan of Lexmark, but fair is fair.

My wife is also not a fan of Lexmark printers. A few days ago I
heard a loud crash. My wife emerged from the office and announced that
the Lexmark printer had just saved her life. She claimed that she was
walking
down the stairs with the printer and lost her balance. She hurled the
printer to
the 1st floor and was able to regain her balance. She then announced that
she needed a new printer, preferably one that worked this time !
She knows that I'm very handy and constantly repair items. This time
she made very sure that repair was not an option :-)

Facts go in the file cabinet, fiction goes in the round bin :-)

Mangled&Munged.

"charlie R" <welpct@nospampsci.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the info, John. I guess I know what Brand Name to avoid from
now
> on. Too bad. It's a good little printer, fast, and quiet, and
inexpensive.
> Very pricey ink cartridges, though. I guess you get what you pay for.
> charlie R
>
> "John E. Carty" <jcarty@NOSPAM.austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Lexmark printers have been notorious for connecting to the net and sending
> information back to the company for some time now. It's built into the
> driver package that you installed for this printer :-)
>
> "charlie R" <welpct@nospampsci.net> wrote in message
> > Gerard,
> >
> > I installed a Lexmark Z25 two weeks ago, and the first thing it did was
> try
> > to connect to the internet. Four or five different modules tried. If I
> > blocked them completely, with ZoneAlarm Pro, the printer wouldn't work.
> > finally gave LCNA Com Server access to the Trusted Zone, blocked to the
> > Internet, and the printer works. Distributed Communications showed up
> > wanting Internet access, for the first time, too. I blocked it,
outgoing
> > and incoming. I really worried about that one, especially the incoming
> > hits. I never had a printer that tried to access the internet on it's
own
> > before. I can check for updates myself.
> >
> > Anybody have any experience with this?
> >
> > charlie R
> > "Mangled&Munged" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > Gerard,
> >
> > I don't think this packet is going very far. The IP address range
> > that starts with 224/8 is in the multicast range. This packet should
> > not be forwarded by any multicast routers.
> >
> > Enjoy,
> > Mangled&Munged
> >
> > "Gerard Verhoef" <Gerard_Verhoef@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > My Sygate Firewall pops up immedeately after logging on with the
subject
> > > message. Happened since i upgraded from win2000 to winxp prof.
> > >
> > > Supply Monitor is LXSUPMON.EXE, a Lexmark program. I have the printer
> > > couple of months now.
> > >
> > > I checked the whole HD with ad aware and the winnt\system32 folder
> > > (thats where lxsupmon.exe is) with macafee. Nothing wrong.
> > >
> > > Seems suspicious to me nevertheless.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any info.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Gerard

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux als Router
    ... # Enter all trusted network interfaces here. ... # which should be available to the internet and set FW_ROUTE to yes. ... space separated list of ports, ... # Packets to silently reject without log message. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Routing and Remote Access NAT - I need to modify TTL
    ... with two interfaces: PUBLIC (internet) and PRIVATE ... use it as a gateway, they can access hosts on the PUBLIC interface, TTL is ... but the replay that comes back to the NAT ... They relay on the fact that client computers accept packets with TTL=0, ...
  • Re: Routing and Remote Access NAT - I need to modify TTL
    ... with two interfaces: PUBLIC (internet) and PRIVATE ... use it as a gateway, they can access hosts on the PUBLIC interface, TTL is ... but the replay that comes back to the NAT ... They relay on the fact that client computers accept packets with TTL=0, ...
  • Re: Ethernet issue: works one way but not another
    ... packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss ... (This is when connected directly to internet through ... FBSD, I have been working with BSDI at the isp I work for for the last ... As for my network topology, I have an internal network that goes ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Yet another thread on the legality of port scanning
    ... >> The normal means of communicating on the internet is via IP ... >> packets. ... hardware/software can't survive a port scan, ... > is an acceptable connection in the absence of explicit permission? ...
    (Security-Basics)