Re: networking newbie question

From: Randell D. (email.via.newsgroup.only_at_s.it.helps.everybody.com)
Date: 11/05/03

Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 21:37:37 GMT

"RB" <rbig@bellsouth.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:E_7qb.34922$SV2.23944@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> For those who have DSL with a switch router that also works as a hardware
> firewall, and networks a couple or three pcs.....is there also a case for
> using a software firewall, too? I can see that the software firewall
would
> tell me when something is trying to get out, whereas the hardware firewall
> blocks only incoming (I think).
>
> So, I'm new to this networking stuff, and am just wondering if there is
any
> reason to use a software firewall for additional protection. I'm thinking
> that if the hardware firewall stops anything bad from getting in, then I
> wouldn't need to worry about anything getting out without my knowledge.

I have a hardware router and Norton Internet Security 2003 software
anti-virus and firewall on my clients. It will make you a little safer
insuch that some software firewalls will do packet inspection or at very
least reduce the number of popups... I don't get many attacks though in a
single year I have somehow managed to install software that had a trojan in
it that was not picked up by the antivirus program, but was picked up by the
firewall...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Firewalls] Re: Neither, buy a router.
    ... Encryption are often way faster on hardware solutions. ... "You do realize that once someone has penetrated your hardware firewall, ... >> 1) Software firewalls utilize CPU cycles on the machine they run on. ... > Maybe your argument is valid for some of the software firewall products ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: CPU runing at 100%, help
    ... Could be hardware - but.. ... Clean up and find out.. ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • RE : Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall
    ... Subject: RE: Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall ... if you had a Pix no matter where the attack came from the Pix ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: WindowsXP slower after reinstall.
    ... > Did you get on the Internet unprotected by a firewall or antivirus? ... > Also - did you test your hardware before reinstalling - it could be a bad ... > will have to do whatever you did before to get them installed or download ... > You can see the critical patches released for a given ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)