networking newbie question

From: RB (rbig_at_bellsouth.nospam.net)
Date: 11/05/03

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:51:18 -0600

For those who have DSL with a switch router that also works as a hardware
firewall, and networks a couple or three pcs.....is there also a case for
using a software firewall, too? I can see that the software firewall would
tell me when something is trying to get out, whereas the hardware firewall
blocks only incoming (I think).

So, I'm new to this networking stuff, and am just wondering if there is any
reason to use a software firewall for additional protection. I'm thinking
that if the hardware firewall stops anything bad from getting in, then I
wouldn't need to worry about anything getting out without my knowledge.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Firewalls] Re: Neither, buy a router.
    ... Encryption are often way faster on hardware solutions. ... "You do realize that once someone has penetrated your hardware firewall, ... >> 1) Software firewalls utilize CPU cycles on the machine they run on. ... > Maybe your argument is valid for some of the software firewall products ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: CPU runing at 100%, help
    ... Could be hardware - but.. ... Clean up and find out.. ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • RE : Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall
    ... Subject: RE: Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall ... if you had a Pix no matter where the attack came from the Pix ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: WindowsXP slower after reinstall.
    ... > Did you get on the Internet unprotected by a firewall or antivirus? ... > Also - did you test your hardware before reinstalling - it could be a bad ... > will have to do whatever you did before to get them installed or download ... > You can see the critical patches released for a given ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)