networking newbie question

From: RB (
Date: 11/05/03

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:51:18 -0600

For those who have DSL with a switch router that also works as a hardware
firewall, and networks a couple or three there also a case for
using a software firewall, too? I can see that the software firewall would
tell me when something is trying to get out, whereas the hardware firewall
blocks only incoming (I think).

So, I'm new to this networking stuff, and am just wondering if there is any
reason to use a software firewall for additional protection. I'm thinking
that if the hardware firewall stops anything bad from getting in, then I
wouldn't need to worry about anything getting out without my knowledge.