Re: hardware vs software security

From: Chuck (cacrollthespam_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/26/03

Date: 26 Oct 2003 15:36:12 -0600

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:38:04 +0100, Florian Reitmeir <squat@gmx.net>
wrote:

>Anyway, the org. question was, what is more secure, NOT, what has more
>features. Features only depend on Software and OS. When I install an
>software firewall I can upgrade it, patch it, improve it, bug fix it and
>customize it the way i need it.

Depending upon software protection only means depending upon keeping
the software up to date, ahead of the bad guys ability to find and use
exploits.

For those with a Windoze OS, it means a losing game. M$ has a track
record of ignoring exploit reports, arguing over exploit reports being
published without their consent, and fscking up their fixes for
discovered exploits.

Depending upon hardware protection only means lack of outbound
protection, plus the possible future event when some black hat
develops a strategy that lets him bypass NAT protection.

That's what a layered strategy is about. Multiple products giving you
complimentary levels of protection. Using BOTH a hardware router and
a software firewall gives you better protection than either by itself.

My rule of thumb is you apply protective products until depletion of
financial resources, system performance, or level of paranoia. I'm
always paranoid. Others may be more trusting.

Chuck
I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

  • Re: [Lit.] Buffer overruns
    ... > 360/67 had added virtual memory and features like segment sharing to ... > Fiddling the storage keys for page protection could interfer ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Data entry environment using Word 2003
    ... Have you looked at Word's new protection ... bookmarks this way (the beginning and end of the bookmarks in protected ... XML is a possibility, but Word wasn't really designed to use XML for editing ... The XML features in the interface are basically there to ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Data entry environment using Word 2003
    ... Have you looked at Word's new protection ... bookmarks this way (the beginning and end of the bookmarks in protected ... XML is a possibility, but Word wasn't really designed to use XML for editing ... The XML features in the interface are basically there to ...
  • Re: Data entry environment using Word 2003
    ... Have you looked at Word's new protection ... bookmarks this way (the beginning and end of the bookmarks in protected ... XML is a possibility, but Word wasn't really designed to use XML for editing ... The XML features in the interface are basically there to ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.beginners)
  • Re: Turn off highlighting of editable regions when a document is p
    ... It's the same with most features that came after Word97: multiple selections, table and list styles, protection, task panes... ... Perhaps the marketing slogan of "full VBA compatibility" between versions was more important than proper support for the new features. ... > Thanks Klaus. ... > Every time we try to do some Word automation there always seems to be ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)