Re: Put off DriveCrypt - ? alternative

From: Dave Korn (no.spam_at_my.mailbox.invalid)
Date: 10/24/03

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:50:44 +0100

news:<bn8gen$p84$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...
> > try Serco DataSentry
> >

> > "JRS" <JRS@jrs.net> wrote in message
> > > Don't like their licensing or crippled traveller mode.
> > >
> > > I need something that will encrypt volumes / partitions of 10Gb or
more
> > and
> > > be capable of doing this on a portable USB hard drive. It needs to be
able
> > > to do this 'on the fly' with the minimum of overhead. The partition
aspect
> > > is important as I need a 10Gb volume on a win98SE machine.
> > >
> > > The cheaper the better pls although I am happy to pay for a legit copy
of
> > > the right product..
> > >
> > > Jon
> > >

> Won't PGPDisk do what you need? I use that quite a bit, and once the
> volume is created (10GB would take a while though), everything else is
> on the fly.
>
> - Brandon K

  The only problem there is that PGPdisk volumes are limited to 2Gb on FAT
partitions - as indeed are all files, it being the maximum filesize for
FAT32. As JRS needs to use win98, NTFS would be a problem, unless he
doesn't mind installing some ntfs-compatibility software to the w98 box.

        DaveK

--
moderator of
alt.talk.rec.soc.biz.news.comp.humanities.meow.misc.moderated.meow