Re: secure email

From: Jamie Briant (dotnet2_at_exertris.com)
Date: 10/24/03

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:24:29 +0000 (UTC)

Thats great, but why wont Outlook let me encrypt the outgoing email? It
says:

"Microsoft Outlook could not sign or encrypt this message because you have
no certifiacates which can be used to send from the e-mail address
<blah@blah.com>"

Why do *I* need a certificate when I am trying to encrypt an email using the
recipients key????

jamie

"Ralph A. Jones" <rajones@SPAM_ME_NOT_AT_tconl.com> wrote in message
> Jamie Briant wrote:
>
> > I've got this email which has been digitally signed, so I have the guys
> > public key. I want to send an encrypted email back. But, outlook wont
let me
> > because *I* dont have a certificate. Is this outlook, or will Mozilla,
> > Eudora, etc all do the same thing? Is it the whole protocol: it wont let
you
> > use someone elses public key unless you have a key of your own? Seems a
> > great way to make sure that no-one adopts secure email if you ask me.
> >
> > jamie
> >

> I have been an email encryption advocate since the DOS PGP days when
> Phil Zimmerman (the author of PGP) was still being sued by the Justice
> Department for providing military-grade encryption to the masses (and,
> unfortunately for Phil, enemies of his home country the United States).
> In my experience over the years it has been proven to me over and over
> again that it takes a true geek/paranoid (of which I am proud to call
> myself) to "buy into" email encryption. Your average, Joe Blow user
> could hardly be less interested in email encryption because: a) it adds
> two or three clicks to processing email, whether you are using PGP or an
> S/MIME-enabled email client like O/OE; or, b) obtaining and installing a
> digital certificate or generating a PGP key set is beyond the computer
> capabilities/interests of most.
>
> Your friend appears to have joined the relatively small community of
> geek/paranoids. I invite you to join us. As others have suggested, you
> can pick up a Thawte certificate for free (http://www.thawte.com -- even
> though their "public trust" or "notary public" system probably inhibits
> the timid).
>
> Last time I checked (although this may have been changed in the most
> recent version), Netscape verions 6.x/7.x (Mozilla iterations) did *NOT*
> properly support S/MIME.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Might Be OT: Thanks for your time
    ... > So let's say you and I both use PGP to exchange email. ... > it with my secret key and encrypt it with your public key. ... > So you check the signature with PGP using my public key. ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Re: PGP encrypted email - basic questions
    ... I understand that a recipient of a PGP signed/encrypted message will ... To verify a signed message they will need your public key. ... To decrypt an encrypted message they don't necessarily have to know ... keys if you tell it to encrypt something to a missing key. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: how do u log out of outlook
    ... Exit Outlook. ... Don't save a password in the account defined in Outlook. ... Well, to be accurate, you need the recipient's public key for their mail certificate so you can encrypt your message and only they with their private key can decrypt it. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • RE: PGP
    ... PGP is a public key system. ... it ensures that the corresponding private key was used. ... You can also use the same public key to encrypt a message. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Asymmetric Encryption in VBA
    ... Do you want this dialog integrated into Outlook? ... Eric Legault - Outlook MVP, MCDBA, MCTS (SharePoint programming, etc.) ... I don't want to encrypt the emails. ... I would like to encrypt a string with a public key, ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba)