Re: Why would my keyboard "phone home"?

From: Bumblebee (chris_bee_at_address.invalid)
Date: 10/11/03

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:10:20 +1000

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:13:51 +0200,"Filip van Laenen" posted ...

>"Bumblebee" <chris_bee@address.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...
>>
>> >My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
>> >
>> >Why would it want to do that?
>>
>> I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
>> access the internet.
>
>My keyboard (from another manufacturer) does exactly the same. The problem
>now is that every single minute, that stupid keyboard tries to phone home,
>and of course ZA blocks it.
>
>Why can't they just put in a dialog, ask me whether I want to register,
>and if I answer źno╗ leave it at that???

Agree. But we can't just blame Microsoft alone then if a keyboard from
another manufacturer does the same thing.
Another thing that bugs me, if I click on Help using Win XP, immediately
I get asked: "do you want Help to access the internet?" so ZAP now
blocks that too. If I want to visit a Microsoft Help page I prefer it to
be my decision and not be taken there automatically.

Whinge over now.

--
Chris Bee

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why would my keyboard "phone home"?
    ... >>My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today. ... > I don't worry about it, ZAP blocks them and that is the end of it. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Keyboard probs
    ... > On my keyboard there's the internet keys..well none work! ... > up to go to pages but the act dead when pressed. ... Possibly keyboard driver or software problems. ... Contact the manufacturer. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: OEM software
    ... Microsoft software productidentified above. ... -user rights ONLY if the SOFTWARE is genuine and a genuine ... Manufacturer grants you the following ... the printed materials accompanying the SOFTWARE. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: #### Second Request###
    ... >> this page cannot be displayed" Microsoft Internet explorer...This ... > Empty your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files and make sure the ... > have to be the built-in Windows Firewall of Windows XP. ... > install a third-party application and configure/maintain it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Does anybody know what virus ive got?
    ... > Internet Security after I install it. ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... keep it clean,secure and running at its top performance mark. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)