Re: Why would my keyboard "phone home"?

From: Bumblebee (chris_bee_at_address.invalid)
Date: 10/11/03

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:10:20 +1000

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:13:51 +0200,"Filip van Laenen" posted ...

>"Bumblebee" <chris_bee@address.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:28:04 GMT,"Bill" posted ...
>>
>> >My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today.
>> >
>> >Why would it want to do that?
>>
>> I have a Microsoft Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse and they both try to
>> access the internet.
>
>My keyboard (from another manufacturer) does exactly the same. The problem
>now is that every single minute, that stupid keyboard tries to phone home,
>and of course ZA blocks it.
>
>Why can't they just put in a dialog, ask me whether I want to register,
>and if I answer źno╗ leave it at that???

Agree. But we can't just blame Microsoft alone then if a keyboard from
another manufacturer does the same thing.
Another thing that bugs me, if I click on Help using Win XP, immediately
I get asked: "do you want Help to access the internet?" so ZAP now
blocks that too. If I want to visit a Microsoft Help page I prefer it to
be my decision and not be taken there automatically.

Whinge over now.

--
Chris Bee

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why would my keyboard "phone home"?
    ... >>My new Microsoft Wireless Keyboard tried to contact the internet today. ... > I don't worry about it, ZAP blocks them and that is the end of it. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Keyboard probs
    ... > On my keyboard there's the internet keys..well none work! ... > up to go to pages but the act dead when pressed. ... Possibly keyboard driver or software problems. ... Contact the manufacturer. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: OEM software
    ... Microsoft software productidentified above. ... -user rights ONLY if the SOFTWARE is genuine and a genuine ... Manufacturer grants you the following ... the printed materials accompanying the SOFTWARE. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: uninstall surfya
    ... > appeared as my internet default page, I have tried to uninstall ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... keep it clean,secure and running at its top performance mark. ...
  • Re: How important is .NET framework?
    ... I have a feeling that my files and internet ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... keep it clean,secure and running at its top performance mark. ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)