Re: Wireless Router Question

From: Lee Higdon (lthigdon_at_raytheon.dotcom)
Date: 10/08/03

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:04:22 -0500

"Leythos" <> wrote in message
> There are a lot of ways to keep people from using your signal, but not
> from detecting it (the actual signal).
> In most WAP's there are settings for SSID (change the SSID Name),
> Disable the broadcasting of the SSID, change the default CHANNEL, enable
> WEP 128 Bit encryption, setup and use MAC filtering. Disable DHCP and
> use a non-standard subnet - this way if they can't guess your subnet -
> try 192.168.37.X/24 or something other than 192.168.0.X/24 or
> 192.168.1.X/24.
Thanks. Question:

1) If I disable broadcast of SSID, does that affect my ability to share an
internet connection and share files on my LAN?

Have taken care of the other items, except DHCP. Hadn't thought of that.
I'll take care of it.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: password protecting my wireless network
    ... get to 'other' and give it an ssid, which it will then save so you need ... I don't really care whether it is a bug or not, ... the "other" menu on a Mac. ...
  • Re: Enable Broadcast SSID
    ... There really is no good reason, IMO, to disable broadcast of the network SSID and you simply cause ...
  • Re: Wireless Router Question
    ... I can detect a standard linksys AP ... In most WAP's there are settings for SSID, ... use a non-standard subnet - this way if they can't guess your subnet - ...
  • Re: Know Any Good West NC Camprounds?
    ... I'd be interested in feedback on it to add to my file.... ... looks like no one else mentioned: You can disable broadcast of your SSID so ... others won't see your router like your daughter was able to. ...
  • Re: Telling prospective wi-fi customers they are open to hacking
    ... just a neat funny idea for those who care. ... >> Unless they name their SSID the same as their company name, ... > Greg. ...