Re: Computer dials out without me!

From: Chuck (cacrollthespam_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/03/03

Date: 3 Oct 2003 13:15:13 -0500

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:02:25 +0930, "Kted" <falseid@kted.com.au> wrote:

>Hi
>
>My computer attempts to get online without me! firtunately I do not check
>the 'remember my password' box so a connection is not made.
>
>I need to know which program is responsible so that I can uninstall it. Can
>anyone advise how I can find out what program is responsible?
>
>Thanks
>
>Kiwi

To identify the culprit, you need a port monitor like ActivePorts (
http://www.ntutility.com/?from=prog_aports ), TCPView (
http://www.sysinternals.com/ ), or Port Explorer (
http://diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/ ). And possibly an improved
Task Manager, like Process Explorer ( http://www.sysinternals.com/ ).

To prevent the modem hijack from reoccurring, you need to keep your
system up to date. And the best long term solution is Get Rid Of Your
Internal Modem. Get a NAT router, like the SMC 7004ABR (
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=67&site=c
), and a good quality external modem. Or a Netgear FR328S (
http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=157&view= ),
and a good quality external modem. No more website kiddie exploits
like modem hijacks.

The router / modem combo is expensive, but very beneficial.
- It's a good part of a layered protection strategy;
- It takes a load off your computer (handles a lot of background
internet noise that right now is hitting your internal adapter);
- It takes a load off your software firewall, reduces alerts that you
don't need to see;
- Blocks the modem hijack;
- Blocks miscellaneous crap like messenger service spam.
- Protects the rest of the internet from crap like Blaster / Slammer
/ TheNextCrapExploit that might infect you and waste everybody's
bandwidth afterwards.

Chuck
cacrollthespam@yahoo.com
Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Internet Sharing
    ... Sharing in the Sharing System Prefs pane. ... How do I get other Macs on the same LAN to use that shared internet ... The problem is that you already have a router on your network - the ... broadband modem. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Repeatedly disconnect from internet (Dial-up Problem)
    ... I can not connect to Internet easily. ... Modem make is Multi Tech System, ... to Internet with O.S Windows 98 but with Window XP ... This connection uses the following items: ...
  • Re: Trouble obtaining IP address
    ... I have an old computer connected to internet via DSL modem which used to ... Just how DHCP, and DHCP leases, work. ... address for your connection was already assigned, ...
  • Re: Trouble obtaining IP address
    ... So some internet providers will not ... On newer systems, you have to power cycle the cable modem to make it work reliably, with a pause of about a minute between off and on. ... This is what the "clone MAC address" function on routers is for - you log into the router from the system that was originally connected to the cable modem, ... >said I cannot switch Ethernet cable from one computer to another and>expect ...
  • Re: Internet on the Go
    ... hooked up with the data cable and installing the software, ... Connecting to the Internet on the Go ... to buy a cellular modem -- and pay through the nose for the ... DSL-like speeds in the country's 100 or so biggest cities, ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)