Re: Linux is as buggy as Windows

From: FromTheRafters (!0000_at_nomad.fake)
Date: 09/26/03

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:18:53 -0400

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:MPG.19de5305a3a47d03989cef@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
> In article <vn901aacvt1695@corp.supernews.com>, shuvit@127.0.0.1 says...
> [snip]
> > This reminds me of the reaction we got from the MIS ( IBM 360 ) staff when
> > we tried to introduce Unix at a universtiy in 1979. They showed me an
> > article in "Datamation" ( I'm not sure of the title). It was a cover story
> > with a cartoon on the front cover, showing the "Road to Unix", marked with
> > signs reading "grep", "awk", etc. - the point being Unix is unusable because
> > the commands are not in English!
> >
> > These people live in a different world!
>
> That's funny - I remember those days and the arguments, much like the
> ones today, about Unix, CPM, COBOL, etc.... It was amazing that we ever
> got any computing done back then :)

I remember arguments about BASIC generating too much
"spaghetti code" and the "structured languages" being better
options for that reason. While that was true to a point, the
BASIC programming language required the programmer to
have clue in order to produce efficient compiled code. The
"structured" languages allowed programmers with less clue
to program, and more less clueful programmers to hold jobs.
We've traded spaghetti for swiss cheese because less clueful
programmers have jobs where there is little or no quality
control. Open source projects yield better code because
there is an ongoing QC and programmers who program
for the love of programming.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Re: Whats the point of C# and C++
    ... If you are sick writing keywords like Dim, then I am sick writing semicolon after each line! ... What I have talked about is for new programmers. ... found out about the CLR and how all of the .NET languages access it, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: Case sensitivity in programming languages.
    ... Programmers who deliberately create different ... languages and seen different case used on different projects, ... standards which are simply the conventions and personal choices of one group ... readfile(), readFileand ReadFile. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: RAC or Large SMP...?
    ... the lack of good support in many ... The few languages that provide such support ... towards programmers that are API driven code monkeys that have little ... parallelized applications will have to do the analysis and design work that ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: OT:aside to Bob - learning Pascal?
    ... > I think most programmers enjoy widening their experiences, ... Aside from the aspect of doing jobs easier and quicker (like ... Thanks for the input, Bob. ...
  • Re: Linux in Forth?
    ... tendency to mix applications together so it takes work ... The advantage that Forth has over other languages ... >things the way programmers in other languages do them. ... But I think for that to happen the C/Forth ...
    (comp.lang.forth)