Re: Yet another Mass e-mail worm TM - Gibe-F/Swen-A - E-mail from Microsoft

From: Dave (macquigg_at_nospam.ece.arizona.edu)
Date: 09/20/03

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:56:39 -0700

The problem here is not the virus, which is easily detected by a number of
AV programs, but the jamming of email boxes. One of my boxes has 1210
messages, all with 106KB attachements, just in the last few hours. I can't
download all those messages to sift out the real ones, so that effectively
renders this box useless.

This is a box I opened recently, so I know pretty much where the spam is
coming from. I used the address in posting to comp.os.linux.misc, and
comp.os.ms-windows.misc. I was even careful to modify the address, so it
could only be used by a real person not a robot. Someone is making a big
effort to spread this worm.

I guess the only solution is to never use your real identity or email
address in a newsgroup.

- Dave