Re: Drivers License required for surfing?

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler (lynn_at_garlic.com)
Date: 09/18/03

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:35:05 GMT

"Fred_McGriff" <fmcgriff@nospam.com> writes:
> Why not make it illegal to ship or offer for download an operating
> system unless all inbound and outbound ports are closed by default?
> The OS needs to be explicitly told which programs can access the
> internet. This could be done during the system install for web
> browsers and email clients. But, all other programs would need to be
> turned on after the install.
>
> The average use does not know as much about security as the average
> OS vendor/packager. Responsibility for out the box security belongs
> to the OS provider. They cannot be allowed to hide behind assertions
> of limited liability -- especially when they ask for compensation.

the average user doesn't know much about repairing, building and/or
servicing a car ... the other analogy is require safe vehicle
inspection for PCs .... people get ticketed and fined for operating a
vehicle in an unsafe manner or operating an unsafe vehicle
... regardless of whether the indiviudal knows how to service a
vehicle or not.

individuals are are required to carry accident insurance for their PC
... and while specific kinds of operating systems may not actually be
street illegal ... they could be sufficiently prone to certain kinds
of damage to require significanlty higher insurance permiums.

random past threads on this subject:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#27 Internet like city w/o traffic rules, traffic signs, traffic lights and traffic enforcement
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#28 Internet like city w/o traffic rules, traffic signs, traffic lights and traffic enforcement
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#29 Internet like city w/o traffic rules, traffic signs, traffic lights and traffic enforcement
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#30 Internet like city w/o traffic rules, traffic signs, traffic lights and traffic enforcement
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#31 Internet like city w/o traffic rules, traffic signs, traffic lights and traffic enforcement
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003i.html#17 Spam Bomb

--
Anne & Lynn Wheeler   | lynn@garlic.com -  http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/
Internet trivia, 20th anniv: http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Drivers License required for surfing?
    ... > Why not make it illegal to ship or offer for download an operating ... http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#27 Internet like city w/o traffic rules, traffic signs, traffic lights and traffic enforcement ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Drivers License required for surfing?
    ... > Why not make it illegal to ship or offer for download an operating ... http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#27 Internet like city w/o traffic rules, traffic signs, traffic lights and traffic enforcement ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Secure you PC or get kicked off the net?
    ... http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#27 Internet like city w/o traffic rules, traffic signs, traffic lights and traffic enforcement ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: To splashpage or not to splashpage?
    ... Using the suggested test found in the Anchor Text Optimization page, ... I fished my Window95 system out of the dumpster. ... Internet that I fixed it!!! ... operating system files and all the other files on the computer. ...
    (alt.internet.search-engines)
  • Re: NATCA Going Down in Flames
    ... With or without the fridge, Tv, internet, and 1 ... As to the kid.. ... But if the airline said they shouldn't as part of their operating ... The FAA sets the standards in my opinion. ...
    (rec.aviation.piloting)