Re: Which Router for VPN and Webhosting

From: BC (bconneely_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 09/18/03

    Date: 17 Sep 2003 20:45:53 -0700

    Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<anugmvs2fvboh4geupj0pvdbtj5rb88hf4@4ax.com>...
    > On 17 Sep 2003 07:48:45 -0700, BC spoketh
    >
    > >And the fact that Microsoft felt compelled to hide all their
    > >Microsoft.com servers behind Akamai's caching Linux servers in
    > >response to the Blaster worm should tell you all you need to
    > >know about Windows 2000/XP/2003's security.
    > >
    > >So there....
    > >
    > >-BC
    >
    > That's somewhat inaccurate. They didn't hide because of MSBlaster type
    > probes, but because of the DDoS attack that was scheduled to happen on
    > some given date against the Windowsupdate server(s). These servers were
    > simply relocated to prevent these systems to be made unavailable to
    > legitimate users in the event that the DDoS attack would take place.
    > That fact that Akamai uses Linux to host their stuff is irrelevant. It's
    > simply the one of the largest commercial content service provider
    > around, and they were able to accommodate Microsofts request.
    >

    > Lars M. Hansen
    > www.hansenonline.net

    I wouldn't say that Akamai's use of Linux is all so
    irrelevant. Microsoft makes their own supposedly high
    end caching/firewall product called ISA Server -- where
    was that in all this? It's suppose to be competing with
    the like of Akamai's stuff and is allegedly used to
    protect Microsoft's servers, so you would think that
    Microsoft would have sufficient clout to get some
    content delivery service, Akamai or whoever, to use ISA
    for political reasons if nothing else. Akamai reportedly
    uses a bank of about 2000 Linux computers for content
    services. 2000 PC's would normally be a lot for most
    businesses, but that's a trivial amount for a company
    like Microsoft.

    So why does Microsoft have to rely on Linux-based systems
    for serious problems, with the Blaster issue being just
    the latest? Well, there are a few good reads here:

    http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit033.html#other
    http://tinyurl.com/nro0

    In other words, Windows in any flavor simply isn't ready
    to play in the big leagues.

    -BC

    • Re: Flintstone Linux.
      ... I think there's a bug in the Linux video handler (or ... It allows me to configure disks at will, ... > office chair and wake up the screen of one of my two servers. ... > Microsoft are greedy cunts and should be broken up, ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Kiss and say goodbye to Microsoft!!
      ... > For those who haven't tried linux, I'm running a Debian linux box with ... Kiss and say goodbye to Microsoft!! ... >>> Linux is excellent on servers and is rock solid. ...
      (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
    • Re: Kiss and say goodbye to Microsoft!!
      ... For those who haven't tried linux, I'm running a Debian linux box with ... licensing) applications to chose from during installation, ... Kiss and say goodbye to Microsoft!! ... >> Linux is excellent on servers and is rock solid. ...
      (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
    • Re: Linux Market share?
      ... >number is almost microscopic (since most Linux servers are configured ... many of the servers now ... >> captured by some product provider to that market. ... >> which is the market area that Microsoft was found to have monopoly power ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)