Re: Which Router for VPN and Webhosting

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 09/16/03

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:39:29 GMT

I appreciate your comments here so don't get me wrong.

> The PC I am using to write this has 98SE on it, I took off the XP it
> came with when I read the EULA. it seems quite stable and
> does graphics, writes DVD's records audio and video and
> has not had any virus's / trojans and the clock keeps good
> time :)

If that is what you choose to do, then who am I to knock it. It's your
machnie.

> However why we got into this is that the original poster mentioned
> she wanted to run a web server and I pointed out that you +can+
> do that on a win/98 machine as its likely to be an undemanding
> task so an old heap of junk does nicely.

I don't think the OP cares, because it was indicated by the OP that it was
IIS and Win 2k that was being used.

> I installed a company
> intranet web server on a P200 recently and it goes great.

The operative word is Intranet and one should not have any issues in taking
a Win 98 machine and this WEB server application and deploying it for
internal company usage. On. the other hand, what are they using for the
Internet? I would hope it's not a Win 98 machine running this Web Server
application.

What's to say that some savvy pissed-off company employee couldn't attack
that Win98 Intranet Web server machine and take it down, because there is
for sure nothing on that Win 98 O/S that's going to stop he or she from
doing it. Maybe, the better approach is to take a Win NT based O/S and lock
it down so that it cannot be attacked easily from in side the network.

> As I have also said, for a serious public web server its better
> to outsource the hosting. I calculate it costs me around five
> pounds a month in electricity to run a computer 24/7 there
> are good deals for less and there are other benefits like
> not having to worry about conectivity, backup power and
> equipment costs and failures or the thing catching fire.

All that's great. But some people just want to know how to do it the MS way.
And maybe, that's the OP's intent is to learn just like I did when I did the
same thing.

> It also runs PERL ok which I use to develop scripts for web
> applications.

There's that word PERL. I am a strictly MS.

> Running one for testing and development is another thing
> of course.

Yes, that's for sure.

Duane :)

--
The protection of the machine is a process and not a given!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Which Router for VPN and Webhosting
    ... > intranet web server on a P200 recently and it goes great. ... the better approach is to take a Win NT based O/S and lock ... > equipment costs and failures or the thing catching fire. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Zonealarm and localhost
    ... So, with the Web server machine connected directly to the Internet, how ... and the O/S use all the machine's resources trying to stop the attack? ... And you're going to quote a SANS' recommendation -- that is too funny as ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Which Router for VPN and Webhosting
    ... it's old technology that is not being supported by MS. ... applications. ... intranet web server on a P200 recently and it goes great. ... equipment costs and failures or the thing catching fire. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Which Router for VPN and Webhosting
    ... it's old technology that is not being supported by MS. ... applications. ... intranet web server on a P200 recently and it goes great. ... equipment costs and failures or the thing catching fire. ...
    (alt.computer.security)