Re: M$ attack on Common Sense

From: Mike Byrns (mike.byrns_at_technologist.com)
Date: 09/09/03

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 04:45:00 GMT

"Bill Unruh" <unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
news:bjj5u8$gam$1@string.physics.ubc.ca...
> Connor is off the deep end. discount what he says.

Then tell him yourself. Quash his silliness among your own. Get you own
proponents to kill that which marginalizes them.

> ]The company that owns the contract to maintain the SCO box can't seem to
get
> ]it to handle more than 14 users, have difficulty setting up VPNs on it
and
> ]all the other good stuff that appear to be just plug and play with
> ]microsoft.
>
> Sounds like a) you have an incompetent maintainer, or b) a useless
> version of Unix (I would suspect both.)

What, praytell IS "a useless version of Unix". As all are clones of one
another how is anyone owning a business to choose due to all the use-less
and use-full versions out there. In this case they need to hire maintainers
AKA consultants. So based on these consultant's opinions it's really up to
them what use-full or use-less version to install. It's not UNIX' fault.
It's fragmentation and confusion and giving up your choice to someone else.
Just like most folks do with Windows and Gates.

> ]Large organizations like hospitals and uni's are able to support unix
more
> ]than small businesses because they use taxpayer money to give the machine
>
> No. To maintain a Windows box and a Linux box probably takes just as
> much work. Small businesses tend to ignore support, until they get
> bitten by the latest bug or whatever.

Agreed.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: M$ attack on Common Sense
    ... praytell IS "a useless version of Unix". ... them what use-full or use-less version to install. ... Just like most folks do with Windows and Gates. ... Small businesses tend to ignore support, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: M$ attack on Common Sense
    ... praytell IS "a useless version of Unix". ... them what use-full or use-less version to install. ... Just like most folks do with Windows and Gates. ... Small businesses tend to ignore support, ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: What is the more popular UNIX flavor?
    ... about my experience with Solaris and Cygwin. ... installing packages. ... needing eg tftp you only need to activate on a Unix system. ... probably need installing first on the equivalent Windows system. ...
    (comp.unix.questions)
  • Re: Five Architectural Flaws in Windows Solved In Mac OS X
    ... But it is still an improvement over Unix, wherein *any executable* can be highly privileged and interact with the user. ... The usual security precautions prevent unauthorized people from doing this, but that's true on Windows also. ... I just got thru upgrading the wifes Mac to Tiger and hpfs is the default. ... This is a more advanced design that Unixes have been trying to duplicate by adding thread support. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Linux no threat to Microsoft
    ... originally developed for Unix. ... Windows has't come on any of the machines I've ever purchased. ... Yet over those years Linux Market Share on the desktop has actually ... philosophy of Apple - later adopted by Microsoft. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)