Re: DDOS attack Microsoft

From: User (User_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/08/03

Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 23:50:13 GMT

"Alan Connor" <alanconnor@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:8%I6b.2581$PE6.2362@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:02:56 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >

> > In article <cLdq6jdb1N4Q-pn2-pWSciH3xVY54@localhost>,
> > madodelNOSPAM@ptd.net says...
> >> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 11:57:45 UTC, "Manoj Paul Joseph"
> >> <manoj_paul_joseph@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> -> > Nice to note that it was linux based servers that saved M$ though
;-)
> >> -> Why Linux based servers?
> >> -> Anyone any idea?
[snip]
> > The problem is not MS, it's the way people use the product and the
> > complete ignorance of it's users/installers. We've been installing
> > Windows in industrial and office locations for more than 10 years
> > without a single instance of a virus or compromise in any station. It's
> > all in knowing how to secure your OS, even if it's Linux, SCO, AIX,
> > OS/2, Windows, etc...
> >

> The above is, simply, garbage.
>
> UNIX-like OSs were created to do real work in the real world.
>
> M$ Oss were created by self-involved game-players who are STILL trying
> to turn the computer/internet into a rec-room and shopping mall.
>
> (unfortuanetely, too many linux distros are following their lead)
>
> Compared to M$, *nix systems are a miracle of efficiency,stability, and
> securtity.

[this spam is unintentional - I do not know which group the original poster
reads]

This is crap. Try putting a stock RedHat system on the web for a few days
without modifying anything after the install and see how long it takes until
it is compromized! Even back on version 6 the machine only lasted 2 days
without being compramized on a dial up network. Now, with broadband
allowing much more nefarious activity to occur before you can catch things,
I would not like to try this experiment but I am told that you can expect to
be compramized in an hour or two.

RedHat used to [version 6] install all servers by default and no firewall
and the "experts" would bag the users for "not securing their systems".

But if these same users installed a stock Microsoft OS on their computer and
it was compromized these same RedHat/linux zealots would blame the Microsoft
for not distributing a secure system rather that the users for not securing
the system. This demonstrates some of the hypocracy eminaning from some
people.

Furthermore I am continually being sent security notices from RedHat for
bugs found in the various pieces of software in their OS. Yet the critical
updates from windows seem far fewer. So even though there are heaps more
people trying to target Microsoft they apparently find fewer holes than
linux/open source software.

Don't blame M$ for sys admin errors just as you wouldn't expect people to
blame RedHat for system admin errors.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DDOS attack Microsoft
    ... RedHat used to install all servers by default and no firewall ... and the "experts" would bag the users for "not securing their systems". ... it was compromized these same RedHat/linux zealots would blame the Microsoft ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: DDOS attack Microsoft
    ... RedHat used to install all servers by default and no firewall ... and the "experts" would bag the users for "not securing their systems". ... it was compromized these same RedHat/linux zealots would blame the Microsoft ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: can microsoft do this?
    ... >> If this really happen and microsoft successfully charge redhat, ... >> think micrsoft must request a huge money for punishment. ... > Redhat scribbled on a Microsoft partition. ... So they MAY sue redhat. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: can microsoft do this?
    ... Why would Microsoft care? ... All Redhat/Fedora releases have their ntfs ... Redhat scribbled on a Microsoft partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Installing Snort in Proventia GX
    ... the Proventia firmware is based on linux anyways (RedHat I think). ... Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL. ...
    (Focus-IDS)